1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LI NY Rates

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by SuffolkPlower, Sep 10, 2012.

1. SuffolkPlower

SuffolkPlower Junior Member

I am looking to get some idea for local rates on snow removal here in Suffolk County. I have been plowing for someone getting paid hourly and I am assured if I have more trucks they can be put to work by my boss paying the same rate.
    • What I would rather do Is have the other truck working on some small lots or residential stuff in the area. There are a few issues with this.
    • First issue is that I have no idea what your typical homeowner or small business owner is willing to pay. Allowing for travel time and comparing what I get paid hourly by my boss i would not expect to take any jobs for less then $50. What I need to knnow is an approximate on what the competition would charge.
    • Also, my personal truck is what I plow with now, and when i asked about the price of insurance if I registered it under my business name as a snowplow, the quote was astronomical. When I get this 2nd truck and hire someone to operate it, I will need it under a business name. Should the rate be so much higher then regular personal insurance?
    My boss also will only pay me in my name instead of the business name. Something about workers comp. Can someone in NY let me know what all I would need to employ someone, what it might cost, requirements, etc?

Thanks!

2. SuffolkPlower

Something that anybody can advise me on is how you handle the wait that customers will have. if you have 5 accounts and one truck, then obviously in a big storm one of your clients will be last and if it is a driveway then they may very well have it shoveled by the time you get there. I have work for my boss the entire time it is snowing and get released about an hour after it stops.

3. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Take the price of your General Liability insurance for snow plowing.
    Umbrella policy
    Commercial auto
    Workers Comp
    Disability insurance
    Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
    Gas or Diesel
    Hourly Wages
    Depreciation of Equipment
    Materials
    Leave a few penny's for yourself
    and divide by amount of accounts...

That should give you a ball park of what it should be billed at.

4. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Put the 2nd truck in your wife's name

5. SuffolkPlower

Can anybody help out here?

6. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Whats your email? I cant pm you.

7. SuffolkPlower

ok, it's a hotmail.com account and the name is Dozer Guy@

Dont want it showing up in spam search results so i write it that way

8. SuffolkPlower

That might not make sense so it is DZ G @hotmail.com

9. SuffolkPlower

ANYBODY out there have any experience in snow removal willing to help??

10. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

PM me i'll see if i can help...