1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lexan is not holding up for me.

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by larry newman, Jan 18, 2009.

1. larry newman

larry newman Member

Last season, I broke the 1/8 skin, and replaced it. Then that broke, so I put a piece of 3/16" on the little plow...not an easy feat, due to the stiffness of the sheet and the tight curve of the 18" plow. End of story...heavy duty........:confused:

Last night, what I THOUGHT was my last plow sheet cracked horizontally across its entire length, but held together to let me finish.

O.K., so I'm rough on stuff...:yow!: Piling snow as high as the Jeep....

Now for my NEXT last sheet- and what should it be ? Stainless ? Polypropylene ? This is getting a bit expensive, and at only 1/2 the season gone...the last 3/16" cost me about $90 and was a pain to mount. This one's going to my welder/fab guy for mounting assistance.

Basher - What's a good spec. for something bulletproof ? Can stainless be loose mounted like the plastic ?
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

With the tight radius of the 18" blade the 1/8" material is actually stronger than 3/16".

The thicker material can not move and flex, and is already over stressed due to the radius it is put in.
  3. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

it will probably last longer to put 2 thinner layers of lexan then one thicker layer. Make sure no petroleum products touch the lexan. I found out that my first one had a petroleum based product used on my water repellant crap I put on the lexan to prevent snow from sticking. Fake Rain X knock off!!!

Anyways, you could try Stainless, it might work.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

1/8 inch Lexan is the deal. You can have a sheet of something rolled. The 3/16 was a mistake as Toby4492 stated not enough flex. Charlie is correct also, you do have to be "poly" savvy. No Petroleum based products, consider some UV protection for the summer and careful what you chose as a cleaning agent.

How many years did the first one last?
  5. larry newman

larry newman Member

I bought the plow last year, broke the original plastic, replaced with 1/8"...broke that , replaced with 3/16"...all last season.

This season, I'd like to redo it so's it lasts longer. Like forever, or at least a couple years. Plus, I want to get another complete unit [Jeep/Sno-Way] next season.

No petroleum products were used...I use Plexus cleaner, the same as for my motorcycle windshield and faceshields.

" A sheet of something rolled."..you are referring to metal? What gauge for metal? Can it be loose mounted like plastic?
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with stainless. It can be rolled and loose mounted like the lexan. In fact it has to be loose mounted. I believe though it gets holes drilled into it at the top to attach it to the moldboard. Doesn't use the steel strip. I'll have to look at mine, can't quite remember. I have an older 25 series plow with the painted steel skin. Has been fine, but it starting to rust some. The stainless won't rust and will look sexy. You won't like the price, but you should only have to buy it once. Get it rolled and get them to over roll it slightly. Will go in much easier that way.
  7. larry newman

larry newman Member

So what is rolled, and how can I describe this to my fab guy in case the dealer price is exorbitant, assuming they even make a SS moldboard for the ST18.

Any idea what gauge the SS skin is?
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It should be loose mounted the "rattle" helps it shed snow.

"rolling" a sheet if material is how they get it to maintain the arched shape. Any shop capable of providing you with one will know what you are talking about.
  9. larry newman

larry newman Member

Basher - what gauge metal should be used ?
  10. larry newman

larry newman Member

new skin

1 pc. of 16 ga. SS 14.25" x 79.5" , 4 huge clamps 1 7foot steel bar, and it's on! Steel sheet $130, shop labor to get it on: 1 hour [ at my Sno-Way dealer, Southside Trailer, Tonawanda NY ]. Great buncha guys.

Would have been easier to get it rolled, but the sheet metal shop could only do 4' wide. They suggested brake bends, but this way, a smooth curve is maintained.

Good to go !

Thanks to all for support !
  11. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I am one of the biggest fans of sno-way you will find around her'e. I run a 9' HT and an 8' 29, next season i will be adding a 29 series, skid steer QA plow to run on my kubota. That being said, i would never run lexan. I know how strong it is and all about the other advantages, i perfer the steele moldboard, not the stainless, the standard steele.
  12. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

if you have lights on the plow just go with the mild steel skin and be done with it
  13. 78W200

78W200 Member

Hey Larry I am kinda in the same boat your are, I busted a hole in my lexan blade last night. I have a 7' 6" 25 series. This is the first skin that I have busted. I called the dealer they quoted me 185.00 for the lexan and 385.00 for the SS. I forgot the ask about the steel one. Does snow stick to the stainless skin or does it slide of like the lexan?
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It does not slide as well as the lexan. It sheds better if it can "rattle" a little. That is the only issue with using the "pull it in to shape" method as opposed to rolling the sheet.
  15. 78W200

78W200 Member

Ok, I will be rolling the stainless if I decide to go that way. I will have to wait and see what a friend of mine can get the stainless for from his work before I know what i am going to do for sure. Any downsides to the starinless other than cost?
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2009