1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leveling the V-plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Peterbilt, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I just picked up a new 7'6" Boss V-plow

We are having trouble leveling it out.When its in the Y position the center point of the plow is the only thing toucking the ground. The edges are not touching at all. My other Boss V did this to, But no where near as bad.

The only time all the edge is on the ground is when its straight or a little behind straight.

We stuck a level on it, and the hinge point is about an inch out of plumb from top to bottom. We also lifted the plow, put it into Y position and pushed down on it so we could try to shim it to level. We added 3/4" and it went level.

We were thinking if there was some sort of spacer or wedge below the rubber cusion it might help? Does anyone make something like this, Or does anyone know of another fix for this problem?

J.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The wedge is wedged shaped for a reason. Thats your fine adjustment in order to get the wings to set flat in all positions. You just loosen (or remove depending on year) the bolt in the wedge, tip the center tower forward, and move the wedge further under the center tower to "shim" it forward..

But, in your case it needs 3/4"...which is too much to gain from just a wedge adjustment. You need to move the push beam up one set of holes on the side plates first to gain enough height, and then fine tune it with the wedge.

3. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Whats the most you can gain by using the fine adjustment?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on where it currently is but not usually 3/4" of an inch. Move the push beam up one set of holes FIRST. Then fine tune it with the wedge...that's what its for. :waving:

5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I had to do the same on mine. The installer had it in the wrong set of holes so the blades weren't even touching. He told me it would even out after awhile when plowing. I took it to another installer and told them to drop it down on the frame one notch and now it's where it should be (15 1/2") depending on the weight in the back. I can't believe some of these installers just know how to throw it on but not how to troubleshoot it or fine tune. At least the ones around me are like that.

6. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I picked this one up pre-owned, with extremely light use. Its a 7'6" Its an 04, got it plow, mount, harness, and controler for $2500.00

Previous owner had it on a 99 Chevy 1500. We are going to put it on an 05 F150.

We put new style edges on it and we used one of my F350s to lift and lower it. While we had it on that truck (350), is when we started questioning how it sits when level. The 350 has a strait blade on it usually with no problems. It was the V that got us questioning how it will sit.
    We then stuck it (V) on one of the F150s and we were still off of level. And we cant adjust the frame up any more with out being in the bumper. This F150 has a straght plow as well. We are planning on sticking this V on my second F150, but it hasn't been set up with a mount yet. (Later this week) Its bumper has been cut (Previous owner had a ultramount on it) But we aren't sure how low its frame will sit as of yet.

I am trying to figure out if we need to scrap this idea all together, or make some sort of a wedge to help the bumper adjust the angle of attack.

Sorry for my rambling

J.

7. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

You should be able to get it to work. Just make sure all the basics are correct, ex. tire pressure, push beam height, level ground when checking. Not sure what an 04 push beam center line height is but mine is an 08 v plow and its supposed to be at 15 1/2" above the ground. The ballast weight in the back can affect this also. Get your weight in the back then try to get your height set on the push beam that a 04 v plow is supposed to be around. Then fine tune it if it needs to.