1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leveling off sand/ salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GMCHD plower, Mar 5, 2010.

1. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

How many of you guys get up on top of the sander/spreader and level off the hump of sand/salt? P.S. Yes I know it's sort of a dumb question but I figured I'd ask.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

3. leon

leon Senior Member

spreaders

Its not a dumb question at all but wheres the tarp in all this?, dont you have steel tooth rake to do this and avoid slips and falls?

:yow!::waving:

4. GMCHD plower

I'm talking about to level it before putting the tarp on... Reason I say getting on top is because that's how I did it helping my gf's dad. So I was just seeing who else did it.

5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I do it if I will be doing any kind of distance traveling........no need to have salt blowing away

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I overfill mine and never level it or tarp it.We arent required to tarp here

7. GMCHD plower

This brings up my next question how many of you guys do it with a "flat top" like this Pic #1.... Or a grated on like pic #2

midsizespreader2_copy-272x192.png

vboxorange2-400x314.png

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  8. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Those links don't work

9. GMCHD plower

There you go fixed it.

10. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

All of Ares are flat topped, but Ive seen the graded ones, rarely and the guys have them ovrloaded

11. GMCHD plower

So with flat topped ones you guys don't normally level them off, or do you just not do it in general no matter if it's graded or flat?

12. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I have a flat top.... and I do level it off before I leave yard.... I only tarp it if I'm going to leave it in very long ....if it's a quick trip no tarp..

13. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

With my conventional flat 8', if going out for a bunch of places, load till running off the sides, get in truck, drive to jobs.

14. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I have 8" side extensions on my Sno-ways, they are always loaded heaping full unless there is a mix of rain/snow then I load them level so we can tarp them. My 6yd Curtis I heap it all the time, rarely do we tarp it.

15. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I generally level it off then cover it.

16. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

After loading salt we get right up on the bumper of the trucks and level it off with a rake and then we put the cover on. We had custom covers made for our spreaders to keep the crap out. It works very well and they are holding up very well. We can also leave it heap a little and the cover still fits over the salt just fine. It will flatten out as the salt level goes down.

17. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have the flat top and fill it to about a foot over the top or until it spills off

18. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

This is one of those anal retentive things huh! I have one or two guys working for me that I notice always level off the salt. It doesn't matter whether its in my flat top V-Box, or in the back of the dump. I think it must make them feel better about it! Personally I don't think it make a difference in the V-Boxes. In the Dumps, if the load isn't somewhat level it can obviously cause problems!

19. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

i level it off when im driving for collin in the gmc dump only because he has like 2 foot side board extentions so we can haul up to 3 yards in a 2 yrd spreader and thats just so i know its full to the brim as far as my spreader i dont we put 1 1/2-2 yds in a 1.3 yard spreader so theres no flattening it

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  20. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

This is how i roll. I even took the doors off so i can leave it piled high. It was higher but i did spread some.

[​IMG]