1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leveling Kits

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nate456789, Aug 25, 2009.

1. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Are the Cognito Leveling kits worth the money?
    I want to make sure I can set the camber and alignment correctly after I level my truck.
    I have a 2009 Chevy 2500 HD.

I can get by with new indexing keys but I want to do it right and not have a bunch of stuff wear out in 20 or 30K miles.

Are there any other makers of these kits that are just as good or better?

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

you might ber better off at dieselplace.com

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Come on Chris no faith in your fellow Plowsite members? :D

Nate if your concern is correct geometry after the lift then Cognito's stuff is worth every penny as that's what their upper control arms are geared specifically for, correct geometry and reduced upper ball joint wear after the raise in height.

You really don't need their (or anybody's) keys though as there's normally more than enough adjustment with the stock keys to set the truck level. You can purchase the control arms separate.

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'm with B&B. I've ran them on a few trucks and they're worth every penny.

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Does anyone make a kit like these for a 2000 model? This is EXACTLY what I need for my truck

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

The frames are the same

7. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

So it will mount up to the frame but will everything else be compatable?

8. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Well that makes me feel better about spending $500. Thanks for the input.
    Are there any special tools that I need? Do I need to unload the torsion bars? I read their instructions online but they only mention unloading the bars if installing new keys.

Thanks for the advice.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No special tools needed to change the upper control arms or shocks. It's a simple procedure that can be carried out in the driveway with a few wrenches, a hammer and a block of wood. Simply follow the install paperwork and you'll be done in no time. It's only if you're changing keys is when you need a T-bar unloading tool. :drinkup:

10. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I emailed the guys at Cognito and this is what they said
    "All I need to level my truck is the $471 kit and shock extenders?
    Usually you can use the stock keys adjustment to get the height if the truck is diesel. If you can't, you will need keys. Gas trucks always need keys."

B & B I assume all of your kits have been for a Duramax? I would have thought the opposite seeing how the duramax adds more weight to the truck.
    I am glad they said that - I would have been a little irritated if I couldn't get it to lift up enough and had to drop another $100 + into it after the fact.

But what I find odd is their site says 80% of the people installing don't need the keys.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I've yet to need a set of replacement keys to level a truck either gas OR Diesel on an '01-newer 2500HD or 3500. It's the pre-'01 2500's and 1500's (they're not equipped with enough T-bar capacity) that require them.

12. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Well the more I read the more I believe I don't need them. I am going to buy the kit without them and see how it goes. Thanks for the info. I plan on taking pictures of the install and posting them. Maybe it might help someone.
    Thanks

13. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Where is a good place to buy these at?

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nor Cal Truck is where I get all my Cognito stuff. Super great guys to work with by far. NorCal Truck

15. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Their shipping is faster and their service is unbeatable. I don't buy things based solely on price.

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

OK B&B i know there are plenty of competent guys on this site also. LOL

I thought someone would have told you to change out you tierods for heavy duty ones and add pitman and idler steering braces.

I have that exact same truck but a GMC.tymusic

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:D I also covered that in another thread recently (and more than once IIRC). A search will bring it up a few times I'm sure.

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

And maybe some gussets.:nod:

20. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Just to follow up - I did install the cognito kit that I purchased from Norcal. It was actually a little cheaper than the cognito site listed.
    The stock keys would not lift the truck up high enough I could only get 1.5" from one side of the truck.
    After installing the new offset keys (Cognito) I was able to get a maximum of 3.5" out of them.
    I did back them down to about 2.25" of lift.
    With the cognito A arms there was still plenty of adjustment range after the front end camber and alignment was set.
    The truck rides just as it did before the lift. I would highly recommend this kit with the keys. I have been running it for a month or so and it is great.
    The kit was really easy to install and I was able to safely unload and load the torsion bars with a gear puller and not the expensive torsion bar tool.

Now I am getting ready to install some Firstone airbags for the rearend to keep it level when pulling a trailer.