1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

leveling kits

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jdgreen454, Dec 15, 2008.

1. jdgreen454

jdgreen454 Junior Member

Anyone install a leveling kit on there 3/4 ton chevs (old body style). If so how much more clearance did it gain you and did you add anything to the back. Pics would be cool. I have a 2000 Chevy K2500 (old body style) and want to gain the height of a stock Dodge. Damn chevys sit to low. Trailmaster makes a 4" lift for it but would rather not pay almost $2,000.
  2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

If you want Dodge height Buy a Dodge
  3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

level kit is o.k. but i dont care for them my self. go get the biggest tbars and swap them in with timbrens. and dont forget ballest.

and dont buy trailmaster or rough country thay are junk. go superlift / skyjacker / bds thay are good.
  4. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I have a leveling kit for my 2500HD new body style. I just put on new torsion keys. Cost about $250 and took me about 2 hours to install. Very easy and inespensive. I got about 2" lift on the front without cranking up the torsion bars
  5. sweetk30

what do you think the keys do ? thay already over crank the bars.
  6. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

The bigger keys give me the factory ride quality but 2" higher of a ride. The ride gets stiff if you crank the T bars. This looks like the T bars are cranked all the way up, but the keys are just set hgher and the truck then rides real nice.

I will try to get a pic up of my truck to show how it levels it out
  7. sweetk30

the lift keys are reindexed over stock. making it turn the bars over max lift. but giving you more room to crank them. i do lift kits and such at work and home. the only reason you get a smother ride is you arnt on the bump stops or bottomed out shocks cause the key kit comes with longer shock mounts to make room for this.

dont get me wrong thay have there place in some rides . but for extra weight ability its a faulse hope. you are just winding the rubber band tighter.

gm ifs has its limits on stock before true lift kits needed. and keys only push the limits.
  8. tras

tras Member

...Or dont buy any products from any of the above. xysport

Dont think they have any products for OBS trucks but Cognito is the only way to go if you are lifting your Chevy. ;) Have owned several of their lifts plus all my trucks have their pitman/idler supports as well as upper UCA's(level kit) right now.

3" of front lift with Congito leveling kit on an 05, 1" blocks in back
  9. CutnLawns

CutnLawns Junior Member

Have run the "green" keys (about $50) in my truck for 6yrs now since brand new and 95K miles and no problems and still a smooth ride. Raised it 1.75" to level it out and since i pull a trailer daily I put 1" blocks in the rear so it is level when towing.

Always discussions weather you are twisting the rubber band tighter or not but with a reindexed key you are just starting the twisting of the bars with the front suspension in a different position (lifted). You can't put more twist in the bars without changing the forces acting on them. The force acting on them is the weight if the truck. If the weight does not change the force can not change so the more you tighten it can only take the path of least resistance which is lifting the truck. Doesn't matter either way it is JMO and how i look at it. For a budget lift the keys are not a bad deal. A true lift is the best route though. And make sure you get an alignment done!
  10. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I talked to a buddy who has one of the 2-3" level kit... he said he goes through ball joints like underwear..