1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leveling kit

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by scash77, Jan 2, 2017.

1. scash77

scash77 Member

Has anyone done a leveling kit on their 1/2 ton pick up or SUV? Mine is a 03 Yukon. GMC ride pretty low....Saw leveling kits online for about $100. Good? Bad? Indifferent? Questions? Additions? Deletions?

2. scash77

scash77 Member

When my blade is all the way up and cut all the way left or right it can catch on a driveway if it's an incline at all.

3. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

You burned your bridges man, we tried to warn ya.

By the way, you need weight in your ass end.

SnoFarmer and Philbilly2 like this.
  4. scash77

scash77 Member

Haha ok. If someone is that petty they can keep their advice. Anyway if there is only like 5 guys on here responding I guess I'm in the wrong place. And if you have to eat **** to get an answer that definitely ain't happening. Anyway I have no interest in arguing. Just advice...sooooooo..........

FredG likes this.
  5. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Check with dealer who installed plow. Timbrens and leveling kits are installed on pick-ups frequently, not sure with the Yukon. I rearely see plows on those for your model year. I "think" they may have a slightly different suspension set up vs a pick-up, but don't quote me on that. The dealer who installed the plow will let you know what if any options you have.

FredG likes this.
  6. scash77

scash77 Member

Yea good place to start. I think he may be expensive though. I was hoping to have the mechanics down the street do it. But definitely want it done right so if it's more it's more...just looking if anyone has done it and how it worked out...Chevy pick ups and Yukon's ride about the same height so anyone who's done it let me know.....and I know most normal guys don't plow with a Yukon lol. Thanks for your help bud.

7. JMHConstruction

PlowWeight1.jpg

Before you spend money on all the upgrades for you truck you need to put weight in the back. A few hundred pounds behind the rear axle. Try that and see how your plow sits.

SnoFarmer, FredG and shawn_ like this.
  8. scash77

scash77 Member

thanks very much for the tip. much appreciated

9. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Put the weight in the back as suggested, If the plow still touches angled check on some other options. Maybe just don't angle in a incline. Either way you still need the weight, Timbrens maybe, Crank up torsion bars etc. Keep in mind I'm not a mechanic. Good Luck

SnoFarmer likes this.
  10. JMHConstruction

Since you don't have any contracts, and it's really too late in the season, once you get insurance, etc, you'll be hard up to turn a profit this year. I would see how things go with the counterweight and try not to spend any money than you can. I assume the Yukon has torsion bars (my 04 chevy 2500 does), like Fred suggested, crank them up a few turns to raise your front end.

SnoFarmer likes this.
  11. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

They installed the plow and they maybe expensive, You still can have them give you there diagnoses of the issue. Then maybe have your buddies down the road perform the work.

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

upload_2017-1-3_9-12-12.png

ktfbgb and SnoFarmer like this.
  13. scash77

scash77 Member

thanks

14. scash77

scash77 Member

thank you

15. scash77

scash77 Member

youre right i think thats exactly what im going to do thanks

16. scash77

scash77 Member

thanks for posting what two other people said..very helpful.....its not always what you say (or type) its how its said.....take a look and see if you can tell the difference since it seems you have some time to kill.....thanks again and good luck in all your endeavours!

17. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Ditto on torsion bars. Cranking them up a few turns will raise and stiffen the front end a bit and it's easy to do yourself. It will change the alignment a bit, but I have 4 or 5 turns on my Silverado 2500 HD and haven't bothered to realign it and don't have uneven tire wear. Be sure to mark them so you can count the turns and of course do them evenly. It's probably the quickest and easiest thing to do and you can turn them back down in the spring if you want.

18. scash77

scash77 Member

i did hear that cranking the torsion bars can make the truck ride bad and installing a leveling kit is much better. any experience with this? thanks

19. scash77

scash77 Member

thanks bro. did cranking them make the truck ride a lot harder? ive heard it does and the leveling kit makes that not the case....of course i have absolutely no idea. thanks

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

There were a lot more than 5 but after the others saw what was posted all they would be doing
    Is parroting the same info at you.

Hint thoes 5 guys , proabBely have over 100yrs of combined experince in the snow industery.

But,
    Our manners,

Hey, welcome to plow site,
    I hear you have a lock fetish?