1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

leveling kit?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rjm5133, Dec 29, 2010.

1. rjm5133

rjm5133 Member
    from PA

i just got a ready lift leveling kit for my 2001 gmc2500hd. just wondering if anyone has put one on and how difficult it is and about how long the install took.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

need torsion bar unloading tool.

big hammer and punch to drive out the t-bars if thay are frozen to the stock keys and arms.

then reset alignment.

good luck if rusty. i have had to cut out some t-bars thay were so rusted in. took over 25 tons of pressure in a press to pop out the rest of them when i got them out.

3. rjm5133

rjm5133 Member
    from PA

sweetk30,

thanks for the reply.

put the kit on today, rust wasnt too bad just tapped the torsion bars forward with a hammer.
    i also didnt need the torsion bar unloading tools, i just used a c-clamp. worked out pretty well
    truck sits real nice now

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

thats good to hear. i plan on leveling my 05 2500HD in the spring

5. sweetk30

you got lucky on bars slidin forward. i have beat / heated / lubed many and finaly got them after 1 hr per bar. not fun. any more i try for 10 min. if no go tell then no kit or new bars. i am not fightin.

and watch the c-clamps. thay can break unless you got a good old non china clamp.

6. rjm5133

rjm5133 Member
    from PA

sweetk30 you got lucky on bars slidin forward. i have beat / heated / lubed many and finaly got them after 1 hr per bar. not fun. any more i try for 10 min. if no go tell then no kit or new bars. i am not fightin.

and watch the c-clamps. thay can break unless you got a good old non china clamp.
    Yesterday 06:30 PM

yea i was suprised how easy the bars slid forward, the c-clamps i used were my grandfathers, good quality american made. i can imagine it would not be a good idea to use low quality clamps, there is a lot of strain on them

7. sweetk30

ya some people dont realize just how much pressure is held on that stuff like that. wesport