1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leveling Kit Installed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 042500hd, Oct 12, 2008.

1. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Installed a 2" leveling kit over the weekend from Fatbobsgarage.com everything went ok. Except. On the front I only gained about 1.25" from where it was before the new keys. The adjuster on the passenger side is maxed and I have about 6-7 turns left on the driver side the difference is consistent with what it was with the factory keys. I have about 1/2" between the bump and lower A-arm and a 1/2" between the upper A- arm and the metal stop. So even if I had more bolt left on the passenger side to stay within the recommended limits I couldn't use it. Over all the truck looks a lot better and maybe it's my imagination but it seems to ride better. I still have the factory front shocks on but did install the extenders provided with the kit. Also put in the 2" blocks in the rear. Will post some before and after pics tomorrow. Anyone thinking of doing this? Here's some advice, make sure you have an air hammer to get the torsion bars out you will need it. Invest in the unloading tool I know there are some other methods available but for $80 I thought it was well worth it. Anyone local to the Buffalo area who needs one can borrow mine anytime. On the rear blocks it doesn't say anywhere in the instruction but you will need to disconnect the lower shock mounts in order for the axle to drop all the way down. Not knowing that added about an hour for me hope this saves someone else a little time.
    B&B thanks for the installation advice.

Final measurements are. Front: 40.5" from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well. Rear: 42" from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well.

If anyone cares my torsion bars are GK's
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Nope Mine is above level and i still have more to go on both my t bars. And I dont even have plow prep. My 01 was also the same way,But that had plow prep.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  3. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

My 04 didn't need anything. Not sure what T-bars I had. My 07 is a little different.
  4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

trick i use at work is ball joint press for load/unload tool.

somthing is not right. all lift and or level kits i install get me 2-3 " of lift. and i dont get the ones with blocks for rear. front only. and i get them level. or if thay want nose high.
  5. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Maybe I was high in the front to begin with? I did have a couple of turns into the t-bars.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct Ray, because you were already above the factory set trim height you won't gain as much as may be advertised in some "kits" since you already started out higher than stock before even installing the kit.

Generally on these trucks it takes a considerable amount of T-bar adjustment just to get them level to begin with due to the fact that they set much higher in the rear in the stock configuration.

So with your limited adjustment and with your added 2" blocks in the rear it's tough to get them up enough in the front to level them up again whether you change the keys or not, as you will simply run out of range of suspension travel anyway after a certain amount. It is possible to add extra travel without major surgery but it isn't exactly inexpensive.