1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leveling kit for 2007 Tahoe

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mr. Horsepower, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Mr. Horsepower

Mr. Horsepower Member

Hi all.

I installed a Western HTS on my 2007 Tahoe and just finished up the first big storm with it this weekend. All in all it performed very well.

I have 1 issue - that is when I'm decending down a steep driveway toward the road (I have 2like this) when the driveway meets the level road the flaired bottom of both receivers scrape the road - pretty hard.

The tahoe always was lower in the front than the rear, so installing a small (1"-2") front end leveling kit might resolve both proplems

For any of you that plow with a GMT900 (Tahoe, Surburban, 1500?) who has installed a leveling kit, what brand did you put in and are you happy with it?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
  2. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

i used one a 2008 gmc 1500 pick up same set up as yours it was from ready lift it added a couple of inches too the front and was simple too put on this one u took the l/f strut/shock assembly bolted the kit too the top then reinstalled the l/f on to the r/f and vice versa for the r/f. sounds goofy but thats how it works made the truck sit level and the ride was the same. i have seen cheaper versions that go on under the strut and they really didnt lift the truck goodluck and keep us informed of what you get
  3. Mr. Horsepower

Mr. Horsepower Member

Thanks much for the information - I'm assuming that the install / change of suspension geometry required front allignment?
  4. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

yes it did require an alignment but wasnt that far off i have worked as a gm tech for 25 yrs and most out of the factory need an alignment
    the plow mount alone will change ur alignment do to the weight
  5. topdj

topdj Senior Member

rough country 1.5"
    I have, but not for long as im trading my 1500 in for a 2500HD
  6. Mr. Horsepower

Mr. Horsepower Member

I did an allignment after the plow install and should have just put the leveling kit in then, but did not want to "change things to much" - stupid me.

Since you are a GM tech, let me ask this:

Is the 1500 pickup front suspension the same as the Tahoe / Yukon? If so, why do the pickups sit higher; spring rates? If so, would it be reasonable to change the Tahoe to the pickup springs, or should I just not think so hard and just put the leveling kit in? I'm really anal about trying to keep things "factory engineered"
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010