1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

leveling kit and a new western

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jbart06, Oct 22, 2015.

1. jbart06

jbart06 Member

Ive added a 2 inch level to my 2012 f250,having a new wide out installed next week. The level wont give me an issue with getting the plow hooked up will it? Should have enough adjustment in the kickstand or whatever to accomodate right?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Max height to bottom of mount is 19in....you'll be fine. I have 2½in lift on my 350 with the factory size 20's

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Hooking up isn't your main concern, level A_frame is. Make sure it's sitting properly before you leave the installer

4. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

the new plows have a height adjustment built in.

5. jbart06

jbart06 Member

elaborate on that for me please?

6. 1olddogtwo

On most it not all western frames, there is different holes to adjust height to keep the A frame level.

The maximum height that will allow or conform to is 19 inches

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

what they said^^^

with the new fleet flex hookups there is an adjustment on the plow frame so you can set A frame level.
    very sweet and easy setup, only takes a few minutes to do so you can swap plow between trucks of different ride height.

8. 1olddogtwo

http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/43185.02_061514.pdf

see page 5 & 6

9. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

I just bought an MVP3 and its on my 99 F250 7.3
    I looked at this thread because the place that installed it told me that I would have a hard time taking it off of the truck because of the lift kit. I was told by the guy I bought the truck from, that it's a 2" leveling kit.

When I dropped the plow in the retracted position, the only thing touching the ground was the center of the plow. I could slide the toe of my boot under the end of the wing. After following olddogs link, I went outside to measure and adjust it. It was in position 2. I measured the brackets and they show 19 1/2". I put the A-frame on position 3 and it's much better, but the center is still the only thing touching (in the retracted position). The wings are now about 1/2-3/4" off the ground.

This was on gravel though. I will set it down on level pavement tomorrow. If I have to take the lift out of the truck, I will. I would rather have the plow work right. This is my first V-plow.

10. 1olddogtwo

There is a second adjustment on a frame itself to help level the unit

11. 1olddogtwo

Also do you know what kind of lift is on the truck

12. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

No I do not. I am going to try to figure that out tomorrow. I will be reading the manual in a little while.

13. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Did you buy the plow new and are the cutting edges new?

14. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

If you are talking to me, yes. It's all brand new. Just picked it up from the dealer today.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  15. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

Let's try these pics again...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  16. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

All the new plows have three holes and three options for primary configuration height. Older ultra-mounts had four holes and were a pain to reconfigure. The new ultra II is sooo much easier. Still, the goal is to get your a-frame parallel to the ground. If the a-frame slopes down away from the truck the front end of the truck will lift when you hit a pile. If the a-frame slopes up away from the truck it will compress your front end when you hit a pile, neither situation is good. Both incorrect setups will change you "attack angle" and make your plow less effective.
    On the V plows there is a second adjustment that makes the blade sit flat on the ground. If you fail to do this adjustment your cutting edges will wear round. That is the outside and inside edges of each wing cutting edge will wear faster than the middle.
    On a level concrete floor drop the blade, hold the down button for a moment until the green float light comes on then push the lift frame down a bit to be sure the chains are loose. Now put the blade in scoop. The cutting edge should touch the floor all the way across. if not then look for the four 5/8" carriage bolts near the back of the A-frame. They will be 1 1/8" nylock nuts. Loosen the two front nuts and remove the two rear nuts and bolts. You may have to use a little floor jack to get the two back bolts out because they will be pinched in the holes. Once you get the two back bolts out take the jack out and allow the blade (still in scoop) to drop to the floor. Now look through the hole where the bolts came out. There will be three holes on the inside section of the A-frame, put the carriage bolts back in the hole that come closest to lining up. Again you may have to use a little jack to get a hole to line up. Once the bolts are in then tighten all four nuts and you are done. All MVP+ and MVP III have those three holes. On older MVPs there was a wedge sort of thing. It was a rectangular piece of flat bar with a slotted hole that ran diagonally from bottom front to top rear. On those you loosened the four bolts just the same but you would just slide that plate until the slit lined up and then put the bolt in there and tighten it. Unfortunately these plates used to come loose a lot so Western discarded that design. Hope that helps.

17. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

Looks like its a rough country lift.

I took the plow to my shop today (it has a nice level concrete floor). I looked at the second spot to adjust and it looks like that will make it just about perfect.

I do have one problem though. The feet do not touch the ground. They are a couple inches short. So I dropped the blade to the ground and put a pallet under the feet to take it off.

I'm guessing that I will have to remove the lift. I just need to figure out how to do that now.

18. 1olddogtwo

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  19. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

Yeah, I am pushing the legs down all the way. This is my 3rd Western ultramount, just my first V.

As far as the front leaf springs, including the very short one on the bottom, there are 7 total.

20. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

Dammit, I am going to read this whole thing before I ask one more question. I really appreciate your help, but when you point out the obvious directions that I would see if I would just read it, I feel like a dumb ass. Again, thanks for your help.