1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lettering stakes?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JML, Nov 28, 2002.

1. JML

JML PlowSite.com Veteran

Can anyone think about the cons to lettering the stakes we mark out sites with. We wooden stakes, my guys were painting the tops the other day for increased visibility and I though if I had a stencil made and then painted my company name over them it might stop them from getting stolen a bit more, and put our name out just a little more to the public. Or I was also thinking about just putting our website on them as well.. Let me know what you guys think.... thanks

2. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

As far as the cons go I'm not sure, unless someone wants something with your company name on it and of course the task of stenciling all those stakes. I also had to repaint most of the ones I painted last year from sun fade; so it might be an ongoing chore each year.

I was interested to see this thread since a friend and I have talked about putting a company name and phone number on stakes. I personally decided against it since I haven't yet had a theft problem, people by me might not like the advertising on their property and I don't consider it a great advertising possibility since all my properties are residential but in my area there isn't that much walking traffic. I'd love to hear the results if you do it though.

Tim

3. JML

JML PlowSite.com Veteran

A lot of our clients are shopping centers, banks, and so fourth. Theft is not my main concern, I think it will help out, by I think it is a great source of advertising...

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

We use 2x2 wooden stakes and I put our name and number on them with magic marker. I have good printing so they look alright, not chicken scratch. I can't say that it has worked for getting work, but the few people that noticed them said "that was clever, any way to advertise huh"? Nobody has been offended by it and if they do I will simply tell them that I'll have to charge them then if they are missing at the end of the season.

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The competition is pretty stiff in our main market. The guy that had the account last year, that you took the account from would be the first to go and steal your stakes, or break them.

Mums the word when it comes to talking about what accounts you have. With landscape construction projects, it is commplace to put a company sign on the job site. I have often thought about putting signs that say "Snow & Ice Management Provided By: XYZ Company", but decided against it for the above reason. In addition to providing an easy target for frivalous slip and fall suits. They know exactly who to name then.....

The main problem we have with stakes breaking is delivery trucks making wide turns, and in some cases, driving over landscaped islands in the parking lots! We do quite well at that site replacing trees uprooted, and straightening out leaning trees.

However, since our Company is Green Earth Landscaping & Design, I have considered painting a small green band below the top color on our stakes. All of our equipment has a green stripe on it some place, even traffic cones and rake/ broom / shovel handles. It helps identify it on job sites where multiple contractors are working.

~Chuck

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

If someone is going to go through the trouble of starting a lawsuit, how hard would it really be to find out who plows the lot? A simple call to the business, "hey, who plows the lot, they do a good job and our company is interested in them". Done.
    As to competiton, they'll see you there sooner or later and hiding from them won't eliminate their quest to steal your work. Advertise, advertise, advertise.

I know everyone needs to do what they think is right and they feel comfortable about doing. No real right or wrong answer here. :)

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Randy, You've obviously never been to NJ :D

~Chuck

8. copandplower

copandplower Member

JML,
    If you do decide to advertise on your stakes a business card might work. Ive seen guys attach laminated business card to wooden stakes. Might work if they are in an area where someone can approach to get the # like a parking lot or res area with a lot of foot traffic. I was thinking of doing this myself.