1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lettering, or magnets? Placement?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by beanz27, Jan 8, 2013.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So I've debated awhile and read quite a bit about it. Lettering your trucks seems to be one of the best ways to advertise. Now since I use the trucks in the summer for Farm work and as a general vehicle, I'd rather not deal with people calling me cause they randomly saw me in the summer. Do any of you guys just use big magnets that you can put on the door?

I can deal with just stickering the door or something year round also, depending on the price of a big magnet. Does anyone letter their tailgate/bumper also?

2. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I like to letter the door or maybe just the rear windows - if your truck is a cc cab/ ext cab. Magnets always look tacky to me.

3. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Nothing wrong with magnets. I'll go for lettering when I get a new truck in the spring but I grabbed two of these from Vistaprint for $10 each.

17.3"x11.25"

I do agree with doing the back windows if you have them.

20121108_170718.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  4. ringahding1

ringahding1 Senior Member

Some guys like the magnets, for us they just get too weathered. All lettering on everything, trailers, trucks....

[​IMG]

5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Couple of problems I had with magnets- No matter how much you clean under them they dull the paint underneath, If your truck is a dark color the paint can form tiny bubbles,people can pull them off.The wind can pull them off when they start getting old.Now for chick magnets ,that's a story for another day.....

6. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Booo magnets... I've found them to look cheap and often just a tiny bit cockeyed after application. I spend the extra and letter the trucks. If you're on a budget, magnets will get you by, but try and make sure you color match the back ground as best you can to your truck.

7. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

If you are looking for a chick magnet ...Might I humbly suggest you need to have a picture of me on the side of your truck. Satisfaction guaranteed or double your money back !!!!

8. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

I think a picture of a guy with a head of lettuce on his shoulders may only attract whiny vegetarians. :D

9. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Your last comment sounds just like a buddy of mine if he hears a woman talking about trying to have a baby the tells them that he can guarantee them a baby or they get a yrs free stud service no one that I know of has taken him up on that offer

10. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

For us we've been in business for over 20 years... Starting out with big flashy lettering with fully lettered trailers and all. Now that we are established... All we have on our trucks is lettering on the ext cab windows.

It looks really clean, and small. I even have it on my personal vehicle. Being on the rear passenger windows is nice...

11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Rookie question here so don't beat me up too bad:

Doesn't the lettering get ripped/torn off when you roll the windows up and down? I've been thinking of doing the back passenger windows but was worried the letters would peel off.

12. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

magnets are now illlegal in some states now letter the truck i have mine painted on

13. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

:laughing: haha..... These aren't toys R Us Stickers... Its actual vinyl.. I have had it on a few trucks' windows for over 5 years looks fine... We roll the windows down in the summer everyday.. Looks fine, Take it through the car wash, snow storms etc.. No problems.. Guess it comes down to the quality of install.. The same company does our trailers and everything... Never had a problem.

14. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks, I figured I'd get laughed at for that one! Hahahaha

15. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I wasn't thinking those magnets that are individual letters or numbers, but one big magnet say (guessing on size here) 24" x 24" something like that. No idea where I can find them though.

16. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

24"x24" = $47 each

http://www.signazon.com/car-magnets/large-vehicle-magnets/

17. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Thank you. Now I'll go measure and see exactly what size I want.

18. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Make sure your doors are regular steel.If not the regular magnets won't hold.You'll have to have the sign company use special magnets that will stick to plastic,fiberglass,stainless steel etc.May cost more.

19. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Most of the truck lettering places will do a professional magnet for you if you ask. I prefer the vinyl lettering right on the door. I don't care when they phone spring, summer, fall, winter. I'll quote them.
    The thing most people don't get about advertising is that the customer doesn't always read your ad and call you instantly. They call you when they are thinking of the service, remember something about your ad and need to know where to find it again. Consistency counts more than timing.

20. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

This is what happens when you try to hi-jack a thread !!!!