1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lets talk Snow Tires.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Maleko, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Lets hear what you guys are running and why.
    Pictures are a plus.
    If money was no object would you be running a different tire than now? If so which ones?

Im in the market for some and want to hear as much feed back as possible.

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Hankook dyn w/studs in them
    Price is good and hold really well in pack snow Wear nice But I dont get very many miles on them during winter time
  3. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

I am a firm believer in snows.. put a set on the dually this yr and hardly use 4wd, gonna set up the pick up next yr forsure.. as for brands dont really mater to me price and tread style... tires have come along way and compounds are now specific to winter weather.. IMO get what you can afford and wont you regret it.
  4. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

cooper M&S studded and firestone winterforce studded on my trucks, like both of them. just as good as the others i have tried over the years.
  5. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Mastercraft Courser AT2 on the pickups, BFG Commercial T/A Traction on the SUVs. Both are a decent tire. If cash was no object, I wouldn't hesitate to try some Duratracs.
  6. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

I have a all terrain tire I just bought a set last night really good all the same tread Cooper discoverys that's what I always used . But money ran short this year used a couple of used sets of tires.
    But I like anything all terrain also I like the bf Goodrich all terrain tires
    I run 235-85-16 cuts threw snow nicely.
  7. serafii

serafii Senior Member

I have Kelly Safarai TSR. 235-85-16 on my 2500hd duramax. I had them studded last winter but DOT stopped me last year so I had to pull out the studs.

Even without the studs these tires are amazing. I have about 5-8000km on them and I'm not seeing much wear.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Money no object winter only Hakkipelitta with studs.

Money no object all year Michelins.

Right now I am running Dunlop Rover HTs on my Jeep Liberty. Fantastic in the snow for an all season and great price. Quiet and good in the rain too. I can't speak to treadlife, only have 6k on since Thanksgiving.
  9. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

I put BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO's on our pickups. Great tires for year round. Probably will never plow with anything else.
  10. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

As a former ice racer, hands down the best snow tire money can buy:
    Nokian Hakkapalitta's

But because I work for a living I run these Firestones. They are cheap and if I eat a nail I dont care. They are mediocre as a snow tire but miles better than winters where I ran "Great" AT tires. But for me the #1 thing is that they are predictable in the way they break loose, meaning they break loose gradually . You can predict where the truck is going and make adjustments. Its not an on-off situation the way a lot of AT tires are in the snow. With some ballast I can clear any of my rather level lots and driveways with half bald tires. Its the driving between jobs that makes me invest in snows. A set of snows costs less than my $500 collision deductible and waaaay less than my medical deductible.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  11. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

Michellen AT2's just bought my second set.
  12. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Blizzacks for snow period! Summer I put on the BFG mud terrain.
  13. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

I'm with Allseasons. I went from Bridgestone dueler ht's to BFG All Terrain T A's and don't think I will ever go back. I also should point out that I switched to a taller skinnier size than the factory origional size on my 2500 truck.
  14. RoesLandscaping

RoesLandscaping Junior Member

I just put a set of nitto terragrapplers on my chevy 2500. They do great in all conditions. Also have a nice tread
  15. f250harvest

f250harvest Member
    from CT

haven't used snow tires in a while but I had good luck with Firestone WinterForce
  16. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Not so much the tire its the size that counts

It wasn't until I changed to a 235/85 BFG's T/A that i noticed a huge difference. Taller skinny tires cut through to the pavement. I do a lot more plowing in two wheel drive now. Plus they wear well through the summer and won't break the bank. You can also find a cheaper nock off brand with the same tread and specs.
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I amazed there isnt a stronger market for 255/85 snows.....
  18. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Wrangler Silent armors.
  19. plowman_25

plowman_25 Member

goodyear wrangler duratracs, only been running them for 2000 miles but they are great so far
  20. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

With u 100% on the use of taller skinnier BFG's. Not only do they cut through to the pavement better but they last twice as long as those other soft rubber compound tires.