1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about plow storage!!??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ScottyB., Jan 11, 2002.

1. ScottyB.

ScottyB. Member

I know we talked about oil spraying before, but here's another question.
    I'm already thinking about how to store my (never used) plow for the summer. Does anyone make a oil type spray in a can that I could just coat the whole plow, cover it with a tarp and put it in my shed? (Is this a good idea?) Some of you mentioned putting waste oil in a cup gun. but right now I don't have one of those and I thought this would be a useful product if it is out there.
    Any other suggestions?
    I put a few postings on the homeowners board of lawnsite. With 53 degrees Wed. I just can't help but get spring fever. I plan to buy a new lawnmower within a month.
    Crazy, crazy year.

Packers 28 Niners 17 On the not so frozen tundra.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I like your Packer's score.

I always avoid tarping things. Especially if the tarp is wrapped tight around it you may see increased condensation and that will lead to rust and corrossion. If it will be in a shed I think that would be fine. Anything I store outside I try to cover with more of a tent structure that will allow air circulation. I would touch up any paint, clean and prime first. It should then be all set for next winter. We do our service on the plows and spreaders in the fall.
  3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I am so LUCKY ! I have a nice size barn behind
    my place........Just drive in and drop off the rig !
    Put a little grease on the exposed rams and
    wait till next winter................Geo

thanks ct, i was going to tarp mine for the summer and leave it outside...never gave that a thought...now onto plan #2...
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Used oil contains all kinds of nasty chemicals,which can damage painted surfaces,electrical wiring,and rubber conponents.It is also extremely carcinogenic and harmful to the environment,not to mention highly flammable.

A cheap cup type undercoating gun will work well,most auto parts or tool stores will have them,but you will need an air compressor to use it.

You can also get cheap rustproofing oil from most oil recyclers.We use a product that is only $30.00 for a 5 Gal pail,and these are canadian prices.Very similar to regular motor oil,just a little thicker.It also stays wet,so you can just use a degreaser and clean it off in the spring.Regular motor oil can be used as well,prefferably the cheap non-detergent kind,with no additives.You can wipe it on with a rag if you don't want to spray it.

If you want you can add some old black rust paint to the oil,and use it for coating the frame and chassis.Makes an old rustbucket look like new.
  6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

My plan for the plow after this season is to give it a good wash, then disassemble: Rams, deflector rubber and blade guides all come off, then I keep it outside for the off season.

In the fall, clean-up and paint, then put everything back on. Stainless hardware makes the "disassemble" part a breeze.
  7. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I guess I am lucky like some, I drive in the garage, drop the plow, put a sheet over it and wait for the fall to come to get ready for the winter. I do store some chrome wheels out in a unheated shed, and those I spray the chrome down with wd-40, and they are 6 yrs old with no rust on them yet..... Only my 2 cents worth.....

Chief Plow
  8. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

Plows in the summer

At the end of the winter, we remove all of our plows indoors for any final maintenance. At this time we fix any leaks, bad wires or connections, etc. Honestly, unless the weather co-operates, we can't service them completely, for this we wait until the fall. Then we put them all on pallets and line them up outside, uncovered (for air circulation like CT said). We arrange them so little if any water collects in or on them, and the pallets help them sit dry, above the ground. We cap all of the lines, hydraulic or electrical, with rubber boots (like what comes with most plows), then coat exposed pistons with white Lithium Grease. For the pins and loose assembly parts, we would either use the White grease, or spray with WD-40 (or equivalent). If we can stay on track, we remember to check this stuff once during the summer.

I wouldn't agree with disassembly, because we don't have stainless hardware, and generally speaking, I think that would end up costing more, because of incidental damage to the parts stored separately from the plows. That is, pistons, markers, etc. might sustain damage from being moved around or stacked inside the shop. And, you need to have a good, clear, labelling system for next season when you need to get these items back on in a hurry. By leaving them outside, the paint fades, but a little TLC during non-snow winters can help with that. This system generally works for plows that are newer and even ones we have for 7-8 years.
  9. Irrigation

Irrigation Junior Member

fireman is right about condensation, that can be worse than just leaving it exposed, but if you have a poly moldboard than you may want to tarp it with good venting to keep the sun off and the birds from doing thier thing. On the metal that can't be painted, we spray a nice mist of diesel fuel on everything and grease on the cylinders.
  10. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

When you have as many plows as I do. You number them, so you know which plow goes on which truck. Then we store them outside, lined up on a paved surface. If we get lucky we use all our salt on the last storm, and we just clean the salt building in store them there for most of the summer.