1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lets take the Strobe/Flasher/Beacon question one step further...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by derekbroerse, Mar 1, 2008.

?

When are your Beacon Lights on?

1. I keep my strobe lights on all the time from start to finish.

39 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. I turn my strobes on at the jobsite and off on the road.

68 vote(s)
    59.1%
  3. Strobes? What are those? I don't need lights.

8 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

... with a poll

Maybe the mods can link the threads.

We're talking about Strobes, Rotators, LED's, wigwags, etc. here not a specific type.

The jobsite refers to where you plow including backing out onto the street etc.

Keep the discussion on the other thread so it all stays together. Use this for voting only.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  2. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I only use them if i am in an area with traffic. What is the point to use them in a empty office building lot @ 3am. If i am there durring the day when there is traffic i use them.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

4. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

I only use mine when on a job, unless I forget to turn them off. :sleeping:

5. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I keep mine on from job to job in the middle of the night, nut not usually during the day. People are usually more awake during the day than at 3am. Now, I only have a Wehlen Responder led bar and when I get my hideaways I plan to turn them off between jobs all the time. They will just be used to move traffic! I can move traffic now with the light bar, but not as well as hideaways will I hate getting blocked my some ****** doing 20mph in a 50mph on a 4 lane road in a storm!!!!

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I run mine while in a lot or doing entrances by the road. I turn them off while driving unless visibility is very poor then the lightbar goes back on.

7. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

For me, alot has to do with the weather condtions
    and how far I have to travel to the next site, because I like driving with my blade straight >----------< :D oh wrong topic

8. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

LOL...what Kinnco said...:salute:

9. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

As a Sub, the guy I plow for requires them on all the time... and I agree with him... I am confident that I know how to drive in inclement weather, its the other morons that have no clue; I dont want them running into me even when going from account to account, the more visable I am the better. I aint making money when I am sitting on the side of the road waiting to file a police report of some asshat running into me. Especially when plowing retail centers that are open during the storm... The only time a shut them off is when I am plowing schools, most of the time its at night with security so I dont run the risk of anybody plowing into me (no pun intended)...

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

As a contractor,
    I tried running my warring beacon as I was driving from acct to acct the other morning, It just felt gay. so I turned them off.

Do you see Fire Trucks, Ambulances or cops just driving around with there lights on? No, Only when there actively engaged in a call.

Why do you think running your lights is like a shield against an accident?

I guess if you don't get enough attention at home you need to get it somewhere.

Be a pro and fallow the laws.

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Deb Murray and the Blue Oyster Bar gay or another kind of gay? :jester: :alien:

LMAO

They're more likely to draw attention, like moths to a flame.

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Excately,, Ho! Gurtrude[/look at the purdey flashing colors...... BAM.......

Or the guy that thinks he is so important because he has a drive to plow so he turns his lights in so traffic will let him by.
    What a tool.....:D

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  13. Mark Oomkes

Hey, keep the discussion on the other thread, you ornery, immature old man. :drinkup:

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol, my badpumpkin:

15. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

I turn them on at the job site then turn them off on the road only if it has stopped snowing. If its snowing hard and the roads are horrible then I will leave them on. Just to let the dumb people who think its ok to drive the speed limit in the snow that im going slower then most of them.

16. Mark Oomkes

Easy there hoss, I'm one of those dumb people. I wish all the idiots who drive too slow would get out of my way so I can get my work done.

17. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

I turn them on when plowing with traffic around. But sometimes if the lights are on and I am waiting to back out of a drive people slow down more than if the lights are off. Always off while traveling except if it is daytime, sunny and I forget they are on. Parking lots always on never know where someone will pop out.

18. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Well if your going fast then your asking for an accident. Did you see what happened to that one guys truck (posted pics up here) when he was going 40-45? Well he t-boned a tree totaled it. Im not saying that im one that goes 10 MPH but but I dont go faster than 30 MPH if the roads are horrible. Not worth it in the end.

19. Mark Oomkes

Define fast?

I've had ZERO accidents during the winter. Guess I'll keep asking.

PS You're hijacking Derek's thread. lol

20. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

oops:rolleyes: