1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lets see your trailers (plus Steel vs. Wood)

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by WesternproGMC, Jul 31, 2012.

Wood vs. Steel Deck

Poll closed Aug 7, 2013.
  1. WOOD

2. STEEL

1. WesternproGMC

WesternproGMC Member

im planing on building a 18foot hyd. tile and i want to see what your trailer look like

:confused: PLUS what do you have steel or wood? what do you like about it? what don't you like about it? (lets settle this once and for all)
  2. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I don't have a tilt deck but a 24' deck over, Wood flooring, easy to repair and not as slippery come winter.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Go at least 20' with your trailer....my tilt is 20', hydraulic dampened
  4. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

I run 24' & 30' straight and dove tail goose neck trailers with wood decks easy maintenance and deck replacement if needed.
  5. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

20 foot hyd. tilt bed, 15k axles, wood bed, more traction, easy replacement, only way to go.
  6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I have a 22' H&H Speedloader and I absolutely love it. I use it daily basically as a rolloff tow vehicle. 14k, wood deck, removable fenders. Can't beat a power tilt IMO. There's pics around here, I'll have to dig them up.
  7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

8. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Mine, on my old truck tho. 18 with a 2ft tail. 7k axles. Looked at some used tilts but they were all too narrow. Plus i was able to get this one new for just over the price of a used manual tilt. Also a believer in wood floors.

I've had this one not quite a year. Only regret i have is not getting it sooner!

9. Deerewashed

Deerewashed Senior Member

do all you guys with these big trailers with 7k axles have class a cdl's? thats the only holdback for me getting one to haul a 10k excavator, especially because i am under 18.
  10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I bought this galvanized one cause I needed something heavier for my loader and a backup for my aluminum maintenance trailer and haven't regretted the decision. Its a 20ft manual tilt, wood floor, 14000lbs. built heavy, it weighs 3450lbs on it's own. Haven't broken it yet.....

11. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

CDL not required as long as your combined GVWR is under 26001 lbs, DOT #'s required if you cross state lines and you exceed 100 nautical miles from your home base
    But with commercial registered vehicles you are required to follow CDL guidelines. You still might be required to apply for and display DOT #'s depending upon your location
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I opted for simple and stupid and couldnt be happier, full width ramps make loading easy :drinkup:

13. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

NICE TRAILERThumbs Up I would'nt have to double ck my ramps with that setup.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  14. WesternproGMC

WesternproGMC Member

nice trailer.. i really like the straps on already (no strap knot balls)
  15. WesternproGMC

WesternproGMC Member

trailer i want to build

Deck size: 19"x82"
    Gross Capacity: 10,400 lbs
    Empty Weight: 2563 lbs (base on steel deck)
    Empty Tongue Weight: 557 lbs (base on steel deck)
    Frame: 5" Channel Steel with Tandem 5200lb axles
    leaf spring suspension
    brakes on both axles

im still thanking steel deck because it will pull nice empty (less jumping) and the trailer is more rigid with the deck welded to the frame with a 1in bead ever 3in. planing on fender that come off, 12,000LB winch, loading lights, hydraulic tongue jack, all LED lights and i plan on making 8 of these http://youtu.be/GpXCiOOoPxk

16. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

Here's my homemade trailer. best small trailer out there. Mostly a toy hauler but I occasionally haul a small bobcat around.

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Here's what I'm currently pulling.
    Brute 23+5. 24,999lb gvwr.
    Pierced frame with a wood deck (lower deck height by a few inches). The wood deck is great and quieter then steel.
    Dual flip ramps with a lift up center to make it 28' of flat deck.
    Ratchet rail with sliding ratchets accepting 4" straps on the drivers side. (awesome feature)

No problems with it really, just wish it was longer sometimes.
  18. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Surree why dont you brag how your truck is longer too.. :laughing:
  19. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

What do you plan on hauling? Being a tilt, honestly 2500 tare weight and 5k axles makes it seem pretty light duty to me. Mine is 3,500lbs and 7k axles and it's almost a bit light duty for some of the bigger stuff I haul. It's perfect for cars and stuff though, skidsteer, etc. The only thing I would change when building my own would be to use 2 lift cyl's for stability. You're not always loading perfectly level and it really does make a difference. My trailer is very heavy duty, but tweaks back and forth a lot and it's losing it's original strength. It get's pretty used and abused though. I've been considering selling it to build one myself to suit my needs a little better.
  20. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

I'd go with 7,000 lb axles, You'll regret it later if you don't. The bearings on the lighter axles can't take the punishment the heavier axles can. I repack the bearings on our trailers every 3 months and replace the annually. II don't need a trailer broke down the middle of BFE because of bearing problems.