1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Let's see some logic applied to this?- Maybe I'm missing something?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 203, Jan 27, 2010.

1. 203

203 Junior Member

Stuck in traffic-New Haven Area,CT

Wrecker Comes Flying towards me opposite direction, Not even w/ a load!!!-

Follow me w/ these colors....

Amber=Warning .....Yes, that was probably needed..lol

Wig/Wag= Move out of the way....ummm....why, aside from ILLEGAL, although, most CT cops would probably let that slide, but do we need Super-Duty's flying down 95 w/ flashing highbeams?

In addition to everything else a (I kid you not) a grille COVERED with PURPLE, isn't that for hearses? I have no idea what company it was and business logic should tell them when you go 90 w/ a million assorted lights, NO ONE, will be able to make out the name!!!!

If for nothing else maybe we can turn this post into the outrageous for kicks?

I only state this to reinforce my stance on "extra warning" lights......I WONDER WHY NO DRIVERS PAID ME ANY MIND ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD:mad:
  2. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Only time I think wreckers should run lights with out a load or parked is if they are trying to run the BDL or shoulder in complete stand still traffic to reach the accident to get things moving again. otherwise whats the point?
  3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

In my travels, I've seen some different trends with wreckers. Around here, most run only ambers, although some have ambers and reds, even though red is technically illegal for them. The ONLY time you see a wrecker with lights on is when they're stopped hooking up a car, blocking traffic, etc. Other areas I've seen tow trucks run some pretty wild light setups. Chicago really stuck out though, every time you see a wrecker on the road, they ALWAYS had their lights on, with or without a load. I've never seen a wrecker in the couple dozen times I've been through chi-town without lights flashing away as they drive, makes me wonder if they ever actually shut them off... And then you watch Wrecked and they complain that people are immune to amber lights. :dizzy:
  4. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Wizard - LOL, Maybe they are just really, really busy!

I agree with 02.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  5. daninline

daninline Senior Member

all I know is some of these wrecker drivers piss me off.

I had one fly up behind me with a load, I would say at least 60 in a 40. he got right on my back bumper with his ambers blinking thinking he had the powers of the police for me to pull over.
    I do live in the sticks no reason for this, I think he was heading to DD down the road.

I would think he should drive slower with a load on the truck not faster on back roads LOL

6. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

There's a lot of morons driving wreckers out there. I know Wheelers garage down on State Street hamden can have some pretty obnoxious lighting and color schemes.

Elm City towing in New haven has some real hotheads driving for them.

I know when we got a new (to us) triaxle I was riding around with dad for a while. I was maybe 14 at the time. We were turning left and to turn left you have to cross 2 lanes of traffic. There is no stop light or anything so we saw a gap just big enough and went. We got most of the way across when dad went to grab another gear and couldn't get it into gear.

Elm City's truck was coming over the crest of the hill to our left and he had to drag his brakes a little and move to the next lane to avoid us. Yes we were in the wrong cause we were obstructing traffic while dad was trying to get the truck in gear. Keep in mind we were still moving just coasting along slower than we would've been were we in gear. This guy didn't have to brake too terribly hard just drag the brakes a bit and move to the next lane which was no biggie he was the only vehicle going that way. So dad gets it into gear and we make it up to the stop light up the street. Elm City's truck turns around and he pulls up and blocks us from going forward at the intersection. The guy starts running his mouth about how he was gonna get us arrested blablabla (for what I don't know) swearing like crazy. The cars behind us had all gone around so we backed up a little and went around the guy and left him standing there fuming to himself like the a**hole he was. And I will never pass up an opportunity to harp on the lack of professionalism of that organization and I will never, ever call them if I'm stuck somewhere.

Moral of the story is: Wreckers run ambers CONSTANTLY yet the drivers complain about how people are "numb to the amber lights." And they think ambers give them special permissions. NOPE.
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

That is why you dont shift gears in an intersection or crossing train tracks.
    you do that when taking a CDL test and you will fail.
  8. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I had a employee that worked for a local wrecker company.

They can run ambers when their loaded. But they also can run flashers and reds and blues when they have a expedited call. Which is only when a car is blocking traffic and they have to move it. He had one that was on train tracks once and if he hadnt of ran his lights to get there fast, the train that came 3 mins after he cleared it would have hit the car.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I like when you see a Med Duty wrecker transporting a Corolla on back. Dozen strobe heads on the front flashing away.
  10. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

I used To run a wrecker and a rollback here in WI. Reds are legal if they are not too overly used ie too many of them. our trucks had light bars like in my sig we had two reds in there all the rest amber. We never used our lights on the way to a scene UNLESS it was blocking traffic or had to unstack cars to get to the bottom one.Even when we were loaded as soon as we got clear of the scene the lights went off. Granted we dont have alot of big highways around here but still DONT OVER USE YOUR LIGHTS.
  11. 203

203 Junior Member

The one main concern of mine-The trucks that are actually only maintained to the point where they can run ...if at all.... are the ones that more often than not, from the warning & legal perspective-It's just horrible.

Some of these have essentially no tread or brakes to stop with , but they are the only ones you will ever come across (in this area at least) that are loaded, literally, (usually auction or junkyard), &....

THEY WILL WARN PEOPLE WITH ONE HARDLY VISIBLY (2 are legally required here in this case), AMBER BEACON CRACKED/BENT & OBSCURED by the crap they haul.

Too much for me to stay in that field, (CDL $ went to great use-lol),

Imo- a rollback that the driver should even be behind the wheel of while in motion, If your load is secured you don't need anything.
    Repo style-(like what started this), just presenting or the possibility of presenting a danger to yourself,customer, or other drivers.

PD can say to dispatch to "step it up"....at least they had gotten the idea to leave that alone and it just turned into a more frequent ETA thing...lol I'd respond somewhere along the lines of "they decided to designate it citation free & what corners they holding all the traffic" - Remember BY NO MEANS AM I SAYING TO SLACK, but who's responsible for fines, or would have to live with God forbid who knows what!! PD wants something done yesterday, shouldn't the colors be the same as theirs, maybe a few sirens on the rig 2. It's not an emergency vehicle, FD has everything & then some for almost every case, lets be honest, anything that's LEGALLY only allowed to run AMBER, going to exactly save the day. C'mon-

My 2 cents-& Yes.... I'm still bitter about almost every available company having the "pissing contest" attitude.
    Maybe I'll see one clown w/ Green or something before I get to become M.E.C.P. certified..lol

Appreciate everyone that's chimed in thus far (even though it's PLOW LIGHTING, I think especially given AMBER as the general rule of thumb color, it's still very well applicable here as well.)
  12. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

1/2 the wreckers that Operate in the City of new haven do not meet state specs for proper lighting. but new haven is it own special world
  13. 203

203 Junior Member

Yes we are,lol-I see you're not that far from me actually-Reading over my post I do imagine many would think it's an exaggeration although I see we have a few who know the area.
  14. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

i work for the Ui company full time i know what new have is about it is my route