1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lets review some realistic productivity numbers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MatthewG, Aug 30, 2012.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I want to double check my plowing math

Lets say regular snow no ice 2-3" easy push

Wide open plowing no cars, obstacles etc, with 8-10 blade = .5 acre 20 Minutes

Snow pusher 10' same lot no obstacles = .5 acre 15 Minutes

Salt usage normal output no ice 1 ton = 1 acre?

2. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

your salts in left field

3. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Agreed. The truck productivity sounds about right, can't comment on the pusher though

4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

800lbs an acre.
    An acre in an hour with an 8ft blade is a good rate
    It gives you time to spare. so your 10ft would be fair
    The push box will be almost the same but once you get to larger storms is where it should start to pull away from the truck

Where the snow has to go has alot to do with it.

5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Only if that means it's too high.

For me, salt comes out to 1,000# per acre over an entire season. This covers the 3"\hour lake effect snow squalls in the middle of January at 10* to the quarter inch at 30* in the middle of March.

6. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the salt correction, I didnt get much of a chance to really figure out bulk salt last year

7. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

Like midtown said on a light snow the plow and box will be close but on heavy snows the diffidence will be exponential. We use prob 5-800lbs of salt per acre

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I just can't see 500lbs being effective on 43,560 sq ft of pavement on a consistent basis.

9. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

That's 5-800 right after we plow. It's usually enough to melt off any film left. If its a salt only night I'll put more

10. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

You'd be surprised how much you can get out of 500 lbs.

11. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Jim
    Like was mentioned before its amazing what a little salt can do. Look at DOT numbers for "lane miles" a mile is 5200 ft multiplied between 8-10' its roughly an acre. Salting depends on so many variables between amount your trying to melt, moisture content, temp, pusher/plow used & amount of residuial snow/ice left, etc., etc.

For us 500-800 acre is probably average, the lots we use my sectional on are less or at the lower end, the uneven lots that we use a rubber edge on are at the higher end.

12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Lol, you obviously havent seen Jim's salt bins !!!
    Jim probably puts down more salt in one night than most people on this site put down in a year or maybe even there career