1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Let's have some fun

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DodgeBlizzard, Mar 4, 2011.

1. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

I just posted about waiting on money from a customer and I thought it would be fun to start a thread with your stories. Maybe vent a little bit.

1.) Tell us what IDEAS have run through your head when people owe you money.

2.) Tell us your stories or crazy methods you've ACTUALLY DONE to get your money.

I will start with an old pressure wash story. I pressure washed a log home (model home). It was just suppose to be a light wash so they could restain it. It was a dark stain and they hated it. I told them I could fix that by removing the dark stain. It was a long hard job. I was suppose to get a check upon completion, but the guy split. Red flag # 1. I waited and waited for my money. I called and would never get a return phone call. Red flag # 2. Then I got wind of them laying guys off (red flag#3) and possibly closing doors. I went right to their office and did the whole "I'm not leaving until I get my money" routine. The GM pulled me into the office to diffuse my temper. I kept the same volume level and explained I worked my tail off and have been lied to long enough. It took a while but I walked out with a check in my hand. And yes I went straight to the bank with it.

Let's hear your stories.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i havnt had any issues but i have heard of a plow driver who didnt get paid so he brought his trucks and loader to the commercial lot one big storm and piled as much snow as they could in front of all the doors. it turns out it all turned to ice and they couldnt get into their office for 4 days. the company never got paid but they sure did get even
  3. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I had an account that was a no pay past 45 days with the full run around. I carefully place snow back in his lot where it came from, paying very close attention the the two main driveway entrances,. I made sure the wall was 5' plus high just as i found them from the state road crews. I found it very interesting on how fast i recived a phone call as to what had happened in his snow freel lot. He ordered me to come plow his lot and stated no one could get into his lot. He also reminded me of my cntract and i was in breach of contract, i did remind him he never payed me so i just returned the lot to the same condition as i found it as per state law. I got tons of call about what happened when guy's drove by and saw the snow plowed back. The lot stayed that way for 3 day's because no one would come and plow after they saw what happened they all figured he owed money. We did go bvack and clean/plow it when i got a bank check for payment in full and payment for the lot cleanup. i will look we took a ton of pic's that day for the future court case. I love having a loader!!!!
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

10 foot high snow pile in front of their garage door.
  5. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Did something similar just out of high school. Only I took my loader and piled the entrances to their parking lot full so they could not get in. Got paid that morning when the attorney and real estate offices wanted to open and found out the landlord had not paid the plow guy for most of the winter.
  6. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Hauling snow

Few years back after we had over 200cm of snow fall in Nov and Dec I had a med sized retail business request snow hauling as they had no parking left. Their snow guy only had a pick-up so he could not handle the work.....

Long story's short, I gave a quote to remove 20 dump truck loads, 400 yards of snow, which was accepted and returned signed. Work as done the first week of Jan....
    Fast forward to March 1st and still no payment, called the owner, his wife said he was in India for the next 2 months and would pay when he returned.... I explained to her that she had 5 days to pay in full or I would return the 20 loads of snow I had removed.... she kinda laughed at me and said, noooo, nooo, you nice guy, we pay you later...which set me off further...
    I told her I would be back Friday for my payment, at 2pm that Friday I had 2 empty dump-trucks
    pull into the lot and park. I called her and told her that I was at her lot and had 2 loads of snow
    that I would be dropping in front of the entrances if she did not bring me payment within 30 minutes...
    20 minutes I had 1500.00 in cash.... was the last time I worked for east Indians....
  7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Do you know that tailgate spreaders can spread roofing nails ?
  8. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

No I didn't...... but its good to know. :)
  9. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

The way my luck is, I would get a nail in my own tires.
  10. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Had a REVEREND that I did a cleanup for last Spring along with weekly mowing for about a month. Wouldn't pay, wouldn't pay, and still wouldn't pay. I left several messages and finally caught him at home. He gave me a sob story, etc. Ended up finding him on Youtube as one of these dramatic holy roller preachers, yelling real dramatic, people falling over, the whole nine yards. Anyway, long story short. I called and left him a message notifying him that I was returning his cleanup. It was now leaf season and I had a full box (about 10yds) of packed leaves on the truck. I backed up to the front door and dumped. The neighbor across the street about shat himself. I told him I was just returning the leaves he didn't pay for. He just kinda smirked.

BTW, look up Reverend Bobby Dawson on youtube. (Or Prophet Robert Dawson)
  11. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

A few years ago we had a small commercial lot decide to cancel half way thought the winter and not tell me or my driver, nothing in writing, it then snowed 2 days straight and she was very quick to move her cars so we could plow the lot, after the third time plowing in 2 days she ask why we were still plowing it and said that we were not getting paid for the work. The lot was kinda of steep so we pushed down the hill so no re-melt would ice up the lot. After that we went back the next night and pushed at least a half a mile of city streets and all the old snow from there lot right back were she parked, 10 feet tall 30 feet wide. We decided to take a break and parked all the trucks running with there exhaust all most up against the snow and melted about am 1/2" of ice over most of the lot. They had 2 other guys come out and try and plow it but could not break the ice. We never got paid, but it was well worth losing $150.00 a few slow payers saw what we had done and have been good payers ever since then.
  12. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I want to stand in the front lawns of nonpayers and yell as loud as I can ITS MY MONEY AND I NEED IT NOW! like on the tv commercials
  13. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: almost pissed myself!!
  14. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

Ford suv that would be priceless to see! Any pictures?
  15. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

now thats good :):):)
  16. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

That would be good to put on your billing.
    "Don't feel like paying your bill? Did you know my spreader will spread roofing nails?
  17. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Never had to much of a problem. Skipped a mowing account last fall. I've had to call other people multiple times. One guy owed me a refund of $1,700 for salt that I didn't end up needing. Called the Sheriff's department. They got me paid after about a week. Should've done that sooner.
  18. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Many years ago, I had a mid sized apartment complex that was just one problem after another. All season long I had water and ice on over half the lot. We just couldn't figure out where all this water was coming from. About mid season we had some heavy snow on all this water, the snow became ice and ended up being close to a foot thick in some areas. It got to the point where we couldn't do much w/ it anymore and cars were getting stuck in the middle all the time, and then just abandoned. We could no longer get the trucks through, and the cars tires were frozen to the pavement. My equipment was also getting the snot beat out of it.

It turned out, a young kid was going around and turning on all the faucets on the buildings when it snowed...took them over 2 months to figure that out.

We were getting ready to send out the February invoices and still hadn't been paid all season. At first they made excuses and then tried blaming our service (before they figured out the problem), then just kept on lying about the checks being sent.

About mid March, I had enough of the lies, and fortunately had a good storm coming. They were still dealing w/ some of the ice (a lot of water over a couple of months), so I pulled the no show and just waited for the phone call.

The phone call came in the middle of the day (and boy were we getting blasted). The property manager was literally screaming in the phone, explaining how we are under contract to service at 2", now it's almost a foot, nobody can get in or out...blah blah blah.

I said...are you done? Ok, well if your done...here's what's going to happen. The woman in your corp office in California, the one who doesn't talk to vendors...your going to give her my number and have her call me, because I'm done speaking w/ you.

Woman from corp calls, I said..."I know you don't speak to vendors, that's below you, but you see I have a problem and you now have a bigger problem...so here's how we both resolve our problem...You will FedX me a check for past due, plus the current month. I need check#, routing#, etc. Check came next morning (7,400). They got plowed, but stiffed me on the final invoice.

I decided to just write off the final balance and be done w/ them. I was back to my summer work and wasn't even thinking about plowing. One day in July I check the mail and there was another check for 7,400. Idk...but yea, I ran to the bank. It turned out, the manager (the one who was screaming) had the accounting so screwed up, she double invoiced them. She chased me around for a while before she got fired. Carma is a crazy thing. It never went any further, I think they all decided to hide their screw up. That was a fun summer.
  19. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

my buddy did the same thing, but after he did the door, he put a 10 ft high 20 ft deep pile in the driveway too.