1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lets compare pics

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Scott's, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

As some of you may know I have had problem with the new salt dog spreader and tonight I snapped a few pics of it and matched them up with my 2500 and can see why it dumps salt non stop. I wonder if they have a fix for it yet as the rep has yet to contact me back and the dealer wants me to drive 50min 1 way so they can see if it was installed correctly. A monkey can see why its dumping salt non stop, just to much space between the hopper and spinner.

1st a pic of the 2500 notice how close it fits to the hopper and it also has a catch guard.
    [​IMG]

Now the Salt Dog, notice the huge gap between the spinner and the hopper and no catch guard, this is what allows the salt to keep flowing, noticed the metal guard is missing ? its because it came bent and when it would spin salt the guard would block it .dealer told me to just stand on it and bend it back, Well its mounted to plastic it will not bend back.
    [​IMG]

Just a few pics since I snapped them
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't they have a hole slot adjuster for it that you can open or close it a little?

4. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

that long knob you see. You grab that and turn it to adjust the opening.

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

whats up with the spinner on the first pic look like its broken

JR

6. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

looks like there's a set screw on the Salt Dog's spinner. Why not move the spinner disk up to eliminate the gap? Is there something I'm not seeing that does not allow that?

7. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

Same boat

I just got the salt dog tgs06 and i think im going to have the same problem...
    this is my first tailgate spreader so maybe im missing something but .. there is no way to totally close the flow? i havn't installed it because im afraid of putting material in and loosing it between jobs.
    what is the deal with this? is this how all the tailgate spreaders are? if not which one should i get? i will sell this one if thats the way its going to be... what a piece of **!!

8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

No they are not all like this.

http://www.snoway.com/index.cfm/act/viewSeries/type/Spreader/cat/15

Our units have a dual paddle system that not only allows for positive shut off, but also allows you to direct the salt to where you need it thrown. Our units will spread straight back, left, or right depending on how you configure the paddles.

9. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

toby..

I was looking at two Sno-Way spreaders at my church yesterday and was wondering what the two paddles are for.. now I know. Very clever design.

10. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

tom can these spread magic salt? if so is there a local dealer on Long Island?
    thanks

11. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Why they so ugly lookin?

12. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

Who really cares what it looks like, as long as the thing works.

Do you guys make all you purchases based on looks:dizzy: