1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lets Beat Out The Lowballers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Flawless440, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I just had an idea while talking to the wife this morning. Form a "SnowPlow Contractor Union" Make it alittle pricey to join to keep out the lowballers. Market the hell out of to the customers. Within the union us contractors have set prices.

Lets here some feedback to improve this.

Who has the time to make it happen?
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I'll keep doing what I've been doing, the way I've been doing it for the last 11 years. Thanks.

In theory, it sounds like a great idea, in practice I don't see it working.
  3. paponte

paponte Senior Member

How about just perform superior service in your area, and they will come. I have resigned every customer for the last 12yrs that we service. The only customers ever lost were the non payers or the PITA's, and that was our doing. I don't know about by you, but here the low ballers get the lots nobody wants anyway.
  4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Isn't that called SIMA....:rolleyes:.....:popcorn:
  5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Its funny, every year someone comes up with the same idea. It would be a good thing but just in thought.
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

There has and always will be people that will work for less. I can bet some of the people that call people low ballers are low ballers in in someone else's eyes. This topic has been beat to death. Figure out a way to make your business profitable by becoming more effiecient, running a tight ship and doing jobs that not everyone can do. JMO
  7. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

the only way to get rid of lowballers in my opinion is to have the backing of the state. and to have a license that allows you to perform snowplowing and salting comercially. must have a business license and tax ID number and general liability to apply for it. that would end that. b/c if it suddenly became hard to do it i think most people would jump off the snow plowing band wagon so to speak. b/c i know most of the guys on here this is thier only income through the winter and would have no problem getting a license to do it to ensure they could continue to run thier business.

and im not say you would have to be licensed to own a plow. if you want one for personal use thats fine. but i think if your charging people and doing it commercially. than that is the only way to eliminate lowballers
  8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

9. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

I think someone is looking for a government bailout. lol
  10. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

I see where he is coming from... Lowballers suck and if u think about it, U dont see the iron workers getting low balled, then again its a skilled trade... But still what about the companies like USM, they hold all of these contracts, and from what i gather they do them really cheap, then just sub the work out (i hear pay isnt that great)...

So... from what i read from others USM is a "lowballer" in a sense... And they have an unfathomable amount of contracts... So i guess this would only help with some residential, asome commercial...

IMO, idk tho
  11. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

X3 I couldn't agree more
  12. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

Be Better not Bitter.
    X4 JD Dave
  13. paponte

paponte Senior Member

You already need all of this to run a business in the first place, so I don't agree with you on this. If you require yet ANOTHER license, the only people that make out are the townships and government in all the fees. There are already too many fees involved for the legit business man. All these illegals in business killing the industry are the problem. After that last statement I must point out that BY ILLEGALS I MEAN NON LICENSED, NON INSURED SO CALLED COMPANIES, before my thread gets deleted. There are no agencies really enforcing these requirements. It is in essence our jobs to point out the requirements to be a legit plowing company to your clients. How if they hire the lowballer, they in essence are liable.
  14. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

A union is formed to protect employees from the company they work for. I think what you are proposing is a totaly diferant situation. It sounds good in theory, but would only increase our cost of doing business and have little to no effect on lowballers. These guys could care less what you set your prices at because they are willing to work for pennys.
  15. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

The company that I work full time for was buste dfor this a few years ago. The higher ups did time & had to pay a huge fine. This is called price fixing.
  16. allcraftsmen

allcraftsmen Junior Member

That's what we need more regulation by the state. They can't even balance a checkbook. The lowballers will come and go. They always have. Here one minute, out of business the next.....
  17. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

18. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

X6- X100...JD you are the Greatest...Im starting to have a Little Man crush....:laughing:..:salute:....:rolleyes:
  19. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Heres a step towards eliminating the low ballers. STOP EXTENDING UN-EMPLOYMENT!!!!!! Maybe then these jackwagons will have to make more to stay afloat like the rest of us. There will ALWAYS be the guys out there in ANY industry that work just enough to get their 8-ball and 12 pack for the weekend. That will never change. They all weed themselves out though eventually after they realize they dont have enough money for those two things PLUS gas. Then welfare takes over and it starts the cycle over again.
  20. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I still haven't lost any accounts to the quote lowballers unquote.