1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

let's beat a dead horse one more time w/torsion

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mee315, Nov 19, 2007.

1. mee315

mee315 Junior Member

Ok I get it... I've researched every thread on torsion bars. I stopped plowing several years ago and sold off or scrapped my equipment. I plowed with F350's and 700 dumps and old Meyers equip. Here goes. 2006 Chevy 2500HD Xtra Cab 6' bed (full plow prep, 6.0 4.10, etc) and my MMII 8' Straight Fisher. Have the proper ballast. I am plowing my 400' driveway and a couple of small jobsites. That's it!! trust me on that! So to torque or not to torque the torsion bars??? I will take the plow off when it's not snowing. But if I touch the bars then I'm reading an alignment is a must. Oh and love the couch/wife's mini-van suspension ride so would rather not get the timbrens... what say you the jury???
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Maybe throw in another 100lbs of ballast and leave it or get a set of timbrens. I'd probably go the timbren route, but that's me. I put an 8' Meyer on a '97 diesel Chevy 2500 and it barely dropped with no ballast, timbrens or cranked bars. I owned it a month, so I never plowed with it.
  3. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Start with Timbrens. You will know as soon as you put the plow on whether or not you need to tighten the Tbars.

The beauty of the Timbrens is that they don't affect the ride until you load them up. Without the plow on, the suspension shouldn't drop enough to start using the Timbrens so you haven't adjusted your ride at all. :cool:
  4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I cranked my bars five turns, got about an inch and a half unloaded ride height and stiffened it for the plow but still rides very nicely. I watched the tires for a while and eventually decided I didn't need to have it aligned. Two years and twenty thousand miles, my tires are getting pretty bad from tearing them up while spinning to get unstuck (lousy tread, need some MTs), but no uneven wear at all.

My truck handles the plow pretty darn well, but I still want to add some Timbrens or something to help distribute the load.
  5. mee315

mee315 Junior Member

ok timbrens it is, no t-bar adjust (for now) and pics to follow. Thanks for the help!
  6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I had timbrens front and back on my 06 3500 GMC diesel single wheel. And I took them off. I found that they slammed me around to much. Since they're not touching the rear axle (in the case of the rear timbrens) when I hit a bump in the road the suspension travels and the timbrens slammed on the axle making an awful ride. The same applied to the front.

So I took the rears off and it rode a little better but I was still having the same problem with the front. So I took them off and tightened up the T-bars just a little bit and plowed all last season like that with no problems. And the front sags just as much as it did with the timbrens.

I felt like I was hurting the truck over time with the timbrens in slamming it around every bump. But when hauling a load in the back they worked great.

Just my 2 cents.
  7. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

I have had 4 2500/3500 chevy's in the past 6 years - all with plows. I have run mostly 8' fisher HD plows but currently own an 8'6 Boss. Over the years I have plowed in 100% stock configurations, with timbrens, w/o timbrens, with and w/o ballast and with stock torsion bar adjustments and as much as 4 tuns over stock. I have run almost every combination of the above.

Honestly, the truck will plow just fine in stock configuration - even w/o ballast. Adding ballast makes a huge difference - the front of the truck will sag less, handling will be improved as well as traction. Timbrens and torsion bar adjustments will also help alot, but I wouldn't bother - a 400' driveway should take 15 minutes tops and "a few other jobsites" lets say take 45 minutes. So for 1 hour of plowing I wouldn't bother...just add ballast (maybe 100#''s over as another suggested) and have fun plowing.

Just my opinion.

8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

cant have your beer and drink it to ! all timbren's mounted on the front make contact all the time the rear do not unless the suspension has dropped over time .i have a 2001 2500hd i just cranked the torsion bar's 4 turn's and aligned the front end ,no problem's