1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lets beat a dead horse again.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Buswell Forest, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I want to buy a poly sander for the F250. It's a 10,000 lb GVW truck, so with the plow on I have 2300 lbs left to carry legal.

If it were your money, what brand and size would you buy.

I am leaning towards the Fisher / Western. Not so sure about Buyers.

And really don't know of any others, honestly.

Let's hear it. I have to get one picked out soon.

2. Buswell Forest

from NH

Oh, come on!

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

4. grandview

Well how much salt do you need in one trip?

5. lucky921

lucky921 Senior Member
    from dracut

well me and my buddy got snowex and love them but for the money the salt dog is a nice unit

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

We've got a fisher polycaster and like it a lot. Solid unit and it seems relatively light as far as salters go.

7. Buswell Forest

from NH

Thinking a 1.5 yard.
    The Fisher / Western unit seems to have a few features that the competition does not. Like the fold over doors on top. Who wants to fuzzle with elastic banded tarps / covers when you can flip the doors, secure the lock down strap, and go. And they shield the truck when loading.

It's looking like a Fisher is the one I want.

8. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

SnowEx

Check out SnowEx. They have a 7550 that will do what you want. We run several of their units and they work well.

9. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Bought a new Fisher polycaster II last season. Didnt like it at first but it grew on me. I do miss a swing down chute which was handy for loading up bins for sidewalk guys etc. The fisher spinner can be taken off but you have to disconnect the spinner motor harness etc. Fine if its warm out but no so much mid Jan. Still, it is more productive than what I had before and has a bigger bin etc. Saves me time which makes me $. I'll stick with it.

Intend to get a vibrator unit for it and a lic plate holder as the spinner does block my plate. I like the variable speed conveyor and separate spinner motor speed controller. So coupled with the gate adjustment it is pretty versatile. Perhaps they all are these days...not sure. Fisher sales is close so that is always a selling point. Eventually everything breaks. Good luck

10. Buswell Forest

from NH

So, over a year later, I now have a Fisher polycaster 1.8 yard. Any tips or tricks, things to be careful of?

11. grandview

Don't put salt in it?

12. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

It doesn't do sand very well from what I'm told.

13. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I would keep an eye on the plug at the bottom of the sander, mine was always getting covered in sand\salt and then slush from the roadway and it corroded and the plug broke in the middle of the storm, it was toward the end of the year and that was without me cleaning it at all. It is just like a plow plug

14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I vote a poly Downeaster but they quite making them. I'd seriously consider throwing some extra springs or an air bag system in your new ride! Our truck that carries the v box has 7 "severe duty" springs per side and a 4 pack of helper springs on each side and with our poly Downeaster loaded with 2 tons of salt it still squats pretty good. Our other truck carries the liquid salt tank and 300 gal.x 12lbs /gal=3600lbs! Its a lot of weight especially if you plowing with it in there like ours do.

15. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Swenson Polyhawk. Indestructible

16. Buswell Forest

from NH

Thing looks to have more metal than poly?

17. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

It's a poly hopper, and just about everything is stainless except obviously the chains. Mostly all nuts and bolts are stainless. I paid around $6,800 a piece, and they have been well worth it.

18. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Go stainless and buzz box. Can't weld poly.

19. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

one thing I really like about the salt dog is that no salt gets on the truck because it's auger driven and self contained. It's also cheap. I think from a quality standpoint the fisher is better. I am buying another salt dogg this year