1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lets be honest

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scott's, Oct 24, 2009.

?

Lets see how many guys in this section have insurance or not

1. "Yes" I have everything needed to cover me for plowing

156 vote(s)
    81.7%
  2. "No" I do not have any extra coverage for plowing

15 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. I run off my other business ins

14 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. I dont need extra coverage for plowing

6 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Lets be honest Do you have plow insurance

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

No but I don't plow so I figured I didn't need it.

3. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

???? Then why post ???

4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Are we talking GL or did I tell my Ins co I use my truck for plowing? In MA it was like 65 bucks more when you use your truck for work.

5. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

The poll is all about if your ins knows you are plowing.

6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Well to be honest I was a little bored and your OP didn't say for those of you that plow, all it said was "Lets be honest Do you have plow insurance"

Your poll wasn't up there when I responded.
    I didn't lie, just gave you an honest answer like you asked for.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  7. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

I voted yes. I have to. The town I plow for requires 1 mil/ 1 mil coverage, and to be an additional insured on my policy.

Even if I didn't have to, I would. I really don't wish to lose my house if something were to happen.

8. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I asked about insurance, and the lady asked me if my customers want a liability insurance other than my normal property damage, and I didn't know if that covered plowing, she said if I hit anything and damaged a persons property, that is covered by everyone's property damage under their car insurance, so I gave her details as in, backing into a garage door, bashing into someones car.......she said as long as the bill wasn't bigger than my insurance property damage, then I"m fine. So to answer the question, do I have commercial insurance...no, my insurance company said I didn't needed it, but I asked.

9. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

yeah same thing here.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Does sand removal insurance count?

Toby, LMAO. :laughing: :laughing:

11. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Ditto, no insurance, no plowing. If you do any large scale plowing your stupid not to be insured for it. Even if the homeowner has insurance why would they want to make a claim for your screw up? Most likely they will want your insurance to cover it.

12. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Have more then needed, I'm above the normal requirement's....
    Commercial auto/ Liability and workman's comp.....

13. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Shoot, I said no but should be yes. Ins knows but I dont have GL.

14. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

yep I have it all. signs on my trucks say fully ins. so I should be. If you bid on better jobs they ask for a copy of your ins. you have to give them both truck ins. and G.L. and some ask for w/c papers too. I have all 3 so I hope I'm good .

15. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

If you hit a light pole in a lot your reg. truck ins. will not cover you !you need a general liability policy

16. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

yeah I have as much as possible, good luck if you dont
    if you are running a truck without as much ins as possible then you are crazy IMO
    this is a career for many of us and if you f up or the brakes go out. your new career may be working off the damges.

17. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Good answer.

18. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Yes ,. I have 2 million commercial general liability and 1 million on my truck. I am not taking a chance cause anything can happen. Plus all my commercial accounts require it to work for them. Just got my bill today telling me they are going to take money out of my account. It is better that way since it is just taken away.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have it. Schools require additional named insured certificates. My understanding is that my normal commercial vehicle insurance would cover if I ran into a car, take out a light pole, hit a garage. The snow coverage comes into play for a slip/fall claim.

20. mtk469

mtk469 Member

We have it. Commercial Insurance. General Liability. W/C etc.
    Not worth the risk to me to not have it. And I hate the thought of guys saying there in business without the proper coverages etc. and don't want to be a hypocrit.