1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Let the excuses begin!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I love to hear all the excuses as to why they can't work. Last year I thought I heard some beauties and this year is off to a good start.......So we had our annual plow meeting where everyone comes to our shop just to let everyone know whats expected etc. So today I call all my sidewalk guys to set up a time to show them the route and one kid (hardly a kid, in his 20's) calls back to say his mom won't let him use her car to carry a single stage snow blower. I said ok what about just a shovel, he said no, nothing with snow on it....OMG just man up and tell me you don't want to work. 1 out of 50 people anymore are just plain soft
  2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I feel your pain ..... I worked in a carryout restaurant. I ask the owner's son (16 years old) to get me several buckets of ice to refill the ice bin for the soda fountain. He told me no because he does not want to over extend himself. Maybe these guys are related!
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

didn't the fact the guy didn't even have his own ride put up a red flag? Why are they using their own cars to go between sites?
  4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

We've already had 2 snow events! Same old crap... this year I'm just continually hiring/firing as im not taking any lame excuses!
  5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I as well off to a great start with my shovel crew. 1 kid(again mid 20's) started his first day just a few days ago, he knew what the jobs was yet he said he wanted to do it. Anyway 45min into the morn we the crew is on the last walks in a complex when he just out of the blue turns to me & says "I'm done" I turned to him & said what? He just looked at me & dropped the shovel & started walking home(about 10 blocks) WTF? why did he take the job? lol as well as this morning I fired a guy because I showed up to pick up an employee, he fell back asleep after I called him & when he answered the door and told me he couldnt work till later because he had to brew a pot of coffee first, I told him we will stop at the store, lets go cause we late now, he said that his coffee was more important then his job. WTF???? So I told him fine & see you next week to collect your last check!
  6. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Its amazing the work ethic of some people,I actually am surprised some of these people have gotten by for so long. We will be supporting them with govt checks.
  7. Brian Young

a big huge ditto!
  8. Brian Young

Well seeings how our ad said specifically MUST HAVE OWN TRANSPORTATION....AND when they signed in there was a spot to put what transportation you had. As far as using their own vehicles, they're all subs. The only thing we do is provide equipment and they lease it for a very small amount.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You lease equipment to a guy without a car?
  10. Brian Young

Ummmm no, where do you come up with that?
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ummmm, did you read your own post? I even bolded the key statement for your convenience.
  12. GSSFC

GSSFC Junior Member

So having subs is how you get around firing so easily and not having to pay unemployment. Good idea!

13. Brian Young

You need to re-read the post I guess. The whole point to the post was he DIDN'T have a car I guess (and wrote down he did). No one said any thing about leasing equipment to a guy who didn't have a car.
  14. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Someone who works so few days is not eligible for unemployment anyway.
  15. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

When did $9.50 become "A GOOD WAGE"??????

Maybe in the 70s.
    Or if the guy is only 16. But I don't hire under 18.

I've got one commercial that the guys get $20 an hr for sidewalks/stairs.
    The rest of the jobs they get $11 and sit in the truck at least half the time.
    I take a guy with me to shovel sidewalks while I plow.
    Some places have their own maint guys handle the sidewalks.

Even at $11 an hr after taxes really isn't that much take home.
  16. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Agreed. The lowest paid of my 4 employees makes $17 an hour. I can not imagine making $9.50 an hour on limited snow removal hours
  17. Brian Young

Hey at least Craigslist ad's are free! We have 4 more guys but you know how that can go. After next winter I'm hoping to be either much bigger or just doing residential's and a handful of small commercials with little to no sidewalks. These people are just embarrassing.
  18. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Around here $9.50 is decent money for starting out. This kid had never worked for me before so that is what he was making and also this was cash that I didn't take taxes out of so if you figure that it is like him making probably $12-13hr. I can't imagine paying someone $17hr for doing sidewalks around here in my small town. I would be out of business if I paid employees that much as I can only get $50hr for sidewalks. Maybe I didn't choose the proper term when I said decent money. I only can afford to pay myself $20hr and that is stretching it. The rates in my area for snow are $65-75hr for a trucks with plow, $100-125 for a backhoe with push box. Most people only pay $30-40hr for sidewalks if they pay for it at all some have there maintenance guys do it. This economy and lowballers have driven down the prices here so bad that it makes it hard on us guys that do good work but these companies are looking to save every place they can. I lose mowing jobs around here all the time for $5 a week less than I charge. Loyalty is something else these companies have less of anymore also. Used to be 5-10 years ago my customers would say hey listen we need to save some money what can we do? Not anymore its hey this guy beat you by $x and we are going to try him even though we really like your work.
  19. R.G.PEEL

R.G.PEEL 2000 Club Member
    from Toronto

If you're getting 50 for sidewalks and can't pay more than 9.50 there is a greed factor involved. Look at the ratio there. You deserve 4x what the guy actually doing the work does? If you feel you need more money, take on more work with more eployees making a good wage. A smaller piece of a lot of pies will fill your pockets and eliminate some headaches. I know what I would get here in Toronto for 9.50 an hour and its not good labour. Its even illegal here to pay less than 10.50. Our rates for trucks, pushers etc... Are similar and we make good money while paying the giys well. Prob cuz theuy work hard for good money.
  20. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Let's look at it this way 50hr minus 30% taxes that leaves you $35 then take $17 for labor and you have $18 then take fuel, equipment cost and all the other little factors in and you have hardly anything left. I'm not greedy but I am also not going to do something if I can't make my 30% profit margin. I spent many years spinning my wheels making less and it isnt worth it to me. Everyone is different but this is how I like to run my business.