1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Let me know what you think

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Carline, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Carline

Carline Junior Member

Hello everyone! This year is my first year snow plowing and I would like to share my setup! I have a 1996 Chevy K1500. It has 89,000 miles on it. I rebuilt the steering (tie rods center link steering box pitman and idler arm) along with complete brakes all the steering components but in were moog heave duty. I also had new heave duty leaf springs put in the back so I can weight it down. Full tune up (plugs wires cap rotor). I had the transmission rebuilt completly to plowing spec (Borg Warner clutches and bands all soft parts "the beast" sunshell). I put 4 brand new Firestone Winterforce on it. I got commercial auto through progressive along with $1m general liability insurance for residential. My farthest contract is 7 minutes from my house. I have 30 contracts. I have a 7.5 uni mount western. (Rebuilt pump new lines and angle rams new lift ram with seal and fliud and filter change) my route should be about 3-4hrs. Most of my contracts are clusters of 3-4 houses scattered around my small town. My father has been in snow removal for many years. So he will tag along with me for the first few snows to make sure I'm doing it all correct. I am only 18, but know I don't go to college so this is my only obligation. So what do you veterens think? Am I missing anything? And suggestions? I dont think I'm over my head. I am a very hard worker. I am passionate for this industry. Also I am an ASE certified mechanic with a shop so fixing the truck is easier then outside in the freezing cold.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  2. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Keep spare parts and have a backup plan - a buddy, your dad, etc that can finish your route for you or loan you a truck in case the feces hits the fan and you break down.

3. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Other than that, make sure you know your costs and charge accordingly. I see so many small guys and new guys that are priced so low they are losing money and don't even realize it.

4. Carline

Carline Junior Member

Thanks for the input!

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You're 18 and a certified mechanic? Explain this.

6. Carline

Carline Junior Member

I went to vocational school for 2 years during high school and received ASE certification.

7. Carline

Carline Junior Member

Plus I've been working on cars since I could turn wrenches

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Never said anything about electrical.

9. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

this is your first year plowing and you have 30 accounts all within a 7 minute radius? how did you pull that off? establishing a route like that usually takes many years. or are you saying this was your father's route and you are taking it over?

10. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

You got the truck and commercial insurance and your dad as a copilot your all good. As stated above you need a backup truck or somebody that can do your route. This is a good size route that you say are close to your home.

I would not know how long it will take you to complete being 7 mins from your home normally 30 driveways you could invest 7 or 8 hours of time. Listen to your Dad he will teach you to be productive so all your clients are pleased with your performance. Good Luck

11. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Let us know how you like progressive, my father had some people he know get screwed over by Progressive and Geico (Not the same person for each company) claiming they weren't covered (or weren't covered enough) since they didn't pay for little extras that would have cost them $1000's more per year.

Other than that it sounds like you should have a good year.

12. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Progressive and Geico both suck for commercial insurance when it comes to snow issues. Your Father is right.

13. jhall22guitar

The people that had issues weren't even plowing, and don't even plow. Just their company truck had an accident (and they were the ones rear ended!)

14. Carline

Carline Junior Member

Actually I had 2500 little fliers made up and I spent 2 nighst driving up and down every street in my area putting in newsoaper boxes and I got all those calls! Plus I offer $50 for every referral so my customers are motivated to get me more business, plus any business they give me will be a neighbor and that is convenient because I am already there!

15. Carline

Carline Junior Member

I have access to a 1995 k2500 with a 7.5 western there is owned by a customer I have for another company that I own.

16. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

In NY last I knew rear ending you are automatically at fault even if they brake check you. If you rear end somebody you were following to close period this is the law. You did not have control of your vehicle.

If somebody rear ends me and there insurance gave me any trouble. I would be at my attorney trying to really stick them anyway I could. I know a guy that got 60K for a sore neck out of court when he got hit in the rear. He was not hurt just broke.

17. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Your good, Make it happen.

18. Carline

Carline Junior Member

I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything. I hope to grow this year by year into a huge company (huge headache I'm told) but entirely possible.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  19. jhall22guitar

Its possible. I have a friend who had two trucks working last year for him (himself and one other guy) with 50-60 accounts (2 were good sized parking lots each taking about an hour). This year he has added at least 10 more commercial lots, a skid, and 4 trucks. Don't know what his residential side is anymore as he did have big growth in landscaping business this past year.

20. Carline

Carline Junior Member

I own a internet marketing company along with this one. So I'm used to constantly changing aspects of your business and growing.