1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

let me be the first

Discussion in 'Kage Innovation Snow Plow Systems' started by 1olddogtwo, Jan 17, 2012.

1. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

let it snow, let it snow, let the Kage go !!!!!!!!

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

2nd that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (pun intended :laughing:)

3. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I'm a bit confused. Olddog, I thought you were a die hard Arctic fan. Are you now drinking the Kage cool-aid or are you making fun here?
    Xtreem, I thought you were having great success with the Kage plows. Are you jumping in with Olddog as he mocks (if he is) or are you still advocating the Kage?

4. 1olddogtwo

Im a huge fan of arctic, I did not mean to mock them. If I came across as that way, I'm sorry

The more players in the market usually means better products for the end user.

I've been around the sectional for 12 years now, guessing 5 years ago nobody heard of them. Now most are trying to copy them.

I like the Kage on paper and what I've seen of them, I will not knock a product I've never used.

5. 1olddogtwo

I also should say that I work for them to as a sub.

6. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Nice to see Kage on the

forum....

We have had a 10' since the beginning of last season. It has been on our telehandler, and aside from a few broken turn ram bolts, after 475 hrs. it has been flawless. It scrapes excellent, the oscillation is great and the trip edge is nice. We may be upgrading to a few more Kages after this season. If anybody is thinking about one, it really is worth considering a Kage.

7. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

475 hours in (2) seasons! That's quite a bit of plowing time. Can you be more specific on the broken bolts? Which bolts exactly? Why do they keep breaking? Pictures would be fantastic.

Has anyone else noticed that some threads are gone? What happened to them?

8. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

So for we have 20 hours on ours, No issues..... I am also interested in hearing other peoples long term opinion

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  9. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I LOVE my Kages.....:redbounce

just tryin to be funny because i was the second post in a thread called let me be the first

10. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

the pins or bolts that hold the piston to the plow tend to bend

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you can add cylinder stops it will most likely prevent that.

12. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Dave,
    Are you suggesting that the cylinder can travel farther than the blade will angle, thus putting excess pressure on the pin, or bolt if that's what they are using, and bending it?
    Will the cylinder stop have to be added to the inside of the barrell so as to limit the travel of the rod eye?
    I personally don't approve of using bolts in the rod eye/back of barrell eye. IMO its chinsey and weak. I would much rather see a pin in there.

13. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

No its the force of the machine u have a ten thousand lbs machine. Pdutting force on a pin or bolt. There isn't space for a stop behind.the piston. I much rather use pins but the bolts are stronger

14. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Explain to me how the bolts can be stronger.

15. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

The bolts are a larger dia and can be tightened down for less slop or movement the are harder to.bend and last longer but are harder to remove when they do.get bent

16. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

The pin will fit in the same size hole as the bolt, assuming they are the same O.D. The pin can, and should, have at least as good of a hardening process (they should not have to withstand stretching forces) yet it will actually be thicker than the same O.D. bolt. This is because it does not have threads cut into it. As far as the slop goes I believe it makes no difference to be able to tighten the bolt. It does not matter if the pin, or bolt, can slide up and down (which would be prevented if you have tightened the bolt), or even if it spins. The tolorence between the O.D. of the pin should still be tight to the I.D. of the bushing. This is the only place that slop matters.

17. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

The size pin that you can get for the hole is not the same od. A case hardened bolt is stronger than a pin. I have used both and find a case hardened bolt to.be stronger

18. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

Either way unless the plow has a stop to.keep it from angeling more than the piston travels it will still bend pins or bolts

19. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

The bolts you guys have talked about bending was a wide spread problem. Mine did it also last year and I talked to KAGE about it at the SIMA symposium last year. From what they said they fixed the problem on the new model last year. It was a quick fix on my end. We added a thicker bolting plate and had no problems since the repair. I love my Kage, and have put a couple hundred hours on it so far.

20. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

It would be great if someone would post a picture of the problem and, especially, the solution.