1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Let me ask you plowers....?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Feb 15, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Hey guys. I'm just wondering if the same thing happens to most of you, that happens to me...

The night/evening before you know a storm is coming, do you guys get real excited and get anxious? Cause every time before I know a storm is coming I go over my sheet that says who gets done and in what order, and I get everything ready in the garage and back my truck real close to the garage and make sure everything is clear and ready to go in the morning and load up my truck with the salt and spreaders and put the leave the snowblowers in the garage ready to go (I'm afraid someone might walk off with them if I put them in the bed).

Next year when I have my plow truck (Chevy 2500hd) and when I have more accounts and commercial accounts, Ill probably get even more hyper/excited/anxious. Its kind of like tingles I get lol. Its one of those things where I just cant wait to do it and I love it, mind you this is just with a snowblower! So next year I cant even imagine how excited ill get with having a plow and all. LOL.

Anyways how many of you guys get excited the night/day before a storm is coming, and how many of you dread the snow?

Man, you guys probably think I'm crazy now, if you didn't already :waving:
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I know what yer sayin. It seems that we all just can't
    seem to relax when a storm is coming. Just like the animals, they sense it. It seems we have to go over everything 50 times in our minds. Are the plows ready? Are the trucks ready? Is every thing in the trucks? What's my plan of attack? See what I mean.

We all do it every storm. It is called being professional.
  3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know if i work my self up that much, but like you i get everything ready the night before, actually thats where i just came from. Loaded up the bag salt, shovels, and will load up the snowblower and salt spreader, when i go out. Hopefully we get some of that snow up here Mark?
  4. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I try to sleep but can't

The same way here. This is my second year and the night before the snow I check everything numerous times. I am up every half hour looking out the window and just itching to get out and play. ( I mean work) I am sure the guys that have been doing this a long time still get the same itch. Heck I am watching the weekly Planner right now. Trying to see what is going to happened this weekend.
  5. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

those were the days.
    a.old days same thing clean out my s-10 go over all my sheets get the blower ready. then go to sleep and couldn't wait to go out blowing in the morning
    b.now i watch the six o clock news on all 3 channels then go check over all the equipment plows sanders trucks fill thim with fuel and then at about midnight we start plowing finish by seven o clock. the other guys goe home and to sleep i then go out sanding for about three to four hours. and at noon i then call back in a bobcat driver and i take the blizzard 810 and start clearing parking stalls in the apartments we finish that up by 6pm, and if im lucky i go home and go to bed. but sometimes either there is a nother storm the next night in wich case i just start over by watching the news and get no sleep. or if ti was a big storm then i get to direct the dump trucks with what piles to haul off the job.

sorry for rambling i do still love plowing, but most people dont relize how much work there really is to plowing snow.
  6. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Yeah, I just like to make sure everything is ready. Gas in truck, my toolbox in-case something goes down, my cell phone charger, jumper cables, tow hooks to pull someone out or even myself if need be, put salt in bed, shovels, spreader, make sure snowblowers have gas and the tank is full with mixed gas with amsoil and look over the route sheet to make sure I have everything down correct.

Joe, supposed to get like 6", but with all this rain (its coming down hard now), were supposed to get 2-4. Which is fine with me.

BTW, I just replaced an o2 sensor on my truck at my dads house and on the way back on the freeway, I counted about 10-15 cars on the side of the freeway (i-94) that spun out and crashed. These people try to go 70mph on the freeway when its pouring rain and like 35 out. Mind you it was pouring, but the freeway is quite a bit lower and there more winds so as soon as that water hits it starts to freeze. I swear, I'm 17 and drive more cautiously than people double my age. Its just common sense IMO. OH WELL. Let it snow!!!!

YoungPup, I do the same thing, I look on accuweather a week an advandce and see that it's supposed to snow, so I click on it, and it won't let me view it because I don't pay for the extra service. Arghhh. LOL.

Karl Klien, I do realize it, thats why I have so much respect for you guys. Two storms ago I worked for about 36 straight hours, which may not be alot for you guys, but when your doing it with 2 snowblowers with high winds it sucks. Mind you in that 36hours my truck batt died, my phone got lost in the snow, and I got water in the carb of my snowblower. Oh well. I know worse stuff happens to you guys, so I guess the man up above is just preparing me while im still young :)
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  7. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

wow i thought i was the only one.happy plowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

it seems worse since i usually am not that busy and get plenty of sleep until a storm comes. then i cant sleep even though i am a sub and my boss will call me in so i don't need to watch how much it is snowing. so i lay in bed trying to sleep but cant know my boss will alert me any minute. the worse part is not being able to sleep. then i have a real long night with no sleep. you notice a pattern. its the no sleep for 24 or more hours.
  10. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Okay-First few years it was like a kid in a candy store. Up all night waiting. Kinda like when you were a kid and anticipating that big fishing trip, or motorcycle ride the next day, the big game. . . same feeling of anxiety.

Now-Same feelings, different reasons. Now we have a couple SuperWalmart accounts and numerous others and the sleeplessness is not gone. Up all night checking 4 internet weather sites, local news, countless calls from subs and employees, wife telling me to get some sleep. . .list goes on. No matter how long you expect to be out you can't sleep. It is just different because it was all about the money and quick cash and testosterone as a young snowplow jockey. Now it is more about the challenge of juggling everybody, maximizing use and efficiency of equipment and manpower, coordinating everybody and number one is keeping customers happy. I mean don't get me wrong, the money is better when you get bigger, but the headaches are magnified and the responsibility of taking care of the accounts takes just a bit of the giddy feeling away. Once we are out plowing and I have everyone in place and I don't have to check on anyone, that is the payoff. When I have a well-oiled machine running flawlessly and all I have to do is plow it is a beautiful place to be. . .until the phone rings and a tranny is smoked, another truck is hung-up, one of the subs blows out a hose and is panicked until i get there to hold his hand. . .

What I am saying is bigger isn't always better, and enjoy the feelings of total excitement and anticipation while it is new. It doesn't get old doing this, it just gets different and you get old. That makes it more difficult to maintain the endurance you have the first year or two of plowing when you could go 2 weeks straight with 45 minutes of sleep.

Bolt Indus said it really well. We ARE like animals that sense it. It truly is being professional. To add to that, I say if you are professional in this sense it is probably because you care. It is important that your acounts are taken care of, and it's because you take pride in your work. If I was not up preparing, and double checking my lists and equipment then none of my guys would have the same sense of urgency and importance in taking care of the customers which write our paychecks. Hats off to all the guys on plowsite (or not) who have these hyper/nervous feelings of anxiety awaiting the opportunity to put your names on jobs well done. It just means you all have long term potential of retaining your customers and adding many more down the road. I'll tip my glass and drop my plow to anyone dedicated to running a respectable business and taking care of their customers so they don't have to worry about the lowballer, IRS dodging pukes that drive the prices down.
  11. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

in one sense you could compare it to an army. you don't see us when it doesn't snow because either the truck is parked with the plow on or you remove the plow. But when it does snow, plow trucks are everywhere. every time i go out it amazes me, a whole army of trucks, with men and women clearing the snow. then the storm stops and almost all the trucks seem to disappear.
  12. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

Thats one of my favorite things about plowing. At 2am all the plowers are out. Hands and plows wavin at each other. :waving: And then at ten in the morning when I'm done theres not a plow to be found other then the lowballer cop.
  13. all seasons

all seasons Member

yeah,like a crackhead jonesn for a rock