1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lessoned learned, ice/slush/snow mess

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Grn Mtn, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

so yesterday we started to get precip at 5am mostly ice, temps hovering around 32*. it continues till around noon when it switched to rain, then at 3pm it switched to snow and snowed till about 1am. Total accum was 1/2-3/4" of ice with 2" of wet snow on top.

Resi's didn't get done because no where near 3" (but I did hit them this morning) and my salting commercial I dumped salt on at 7am, came back at noon and pushed slush around, found out you have to be real careful with slush because it acts like a big tidal wave - you stop and it keeps going:eek:, anyway dumped more salt down and went home. I skipped my church lot saving it for this morning at 4am because why should I bother, it never hit its trigger and they don't salt so no big deal right:cry:

WHAT A MESS. forget about plowing with the blade all the way down, you move 10' curl up the biggest wettest ice ball and its like a tractor pull, it just stops you with tires spinning.

I had to plow with the blade up and angled, then lower it and do it again. at the end of the row you had to be careful not to hit the previous pile too hard or you would blow a hose. What normally takes me between 33 and 47 minutes for 56,000 sqft took an hour 15:yow!: And beat the truck up.

I left the church because its seasonal unlimited, not per push and salting like my other commercial, but after going through that, I will make sure not to leave it if its wet heavy icy crap again.

sorry for the rant and rambling.

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

We had the exact same crap, but I found my blade was heavy enough (and has brand new edges on it, one plow old) to cut thru the ice and scrape clean, negated salting the bulk of it into slush. I found the most of my lots came exceptionally clean, and the salt on top did a beautiful job.

But our foot of snow came down as about an inch, then freezing rain, then regular rain, ice pellets, then wet snow. Weird how it was layered like an oreo cookie...

There have been times when I wanted a giant squeegee instead of a plow, though.... :D

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We had the same stuff, What a mess..

You get that speed up the slush and water flys :D

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Same here slop everywhere. I did a video I'll post it soon. Looks like you could of surfed on it!

5. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Just the opposite here. We had about 2 inches of snow, then change over to sleet with a freezing rain chaser. About 3" total. Plowing wasnt to bad once you broke into the pack. The biggest problem was shoveling!

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

The commercial stuff i do, they have us out there the entire time and prior to ice storms like this. Im sure weve all run into this though.

I have a lot of residentials which start at 4", 6" 12" etc.. Well they ALL call when we get 1" of solid packed ice on their driveways and want it removed for the under 6" price. I learned my lesson two years ago. I went out and "scraped" ice with my small loader tractor, it did it well and everyone was happy, but i had to trailer around a machine, unload it, took a long time, load it back up, secure it, go to the next site, yadda yadda.. I got 9 driveways done in a 10hr span, that sure sucked for $45 each that i charge them. I now have a 100$ ice removal or they can just pay the salting cost if they want a cheaper method.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not great video the only thing you see is the slush.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2lUbJwZNW9E&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2lUbJwZNW9E&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

really smart, now i just have to figure out how to write something like that into my church account.

9. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Ya here in Rochester it was nasty , slush , ice and ice pellets.

I plowed all my residential clients , And it was a tad tough going , what I did to avoid beating truck was push about a truck length and then back drag it , the minute the truck started to bog with the weight I got my que to stop lift pull ahead and back drag, so my normal 55 minute route was extended to an hour 45 .

I tripped the blade 6 times which I hate doing but considering the mess and weight of what we had to push it aint bad.

Also even though we never hit the 3" trip amount I decided to push because the driveway ends where full of road slush from the plows which if left alone could have frozen solid making every driveway impossible to plow later in the season.

10. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Im outside Buffalo and we got that crap here. Even though we never hit the 2.5 inch trigger, I plowed anyways because it was so much ice and crap that would freeze solid and would be a pain to plow next time. I couldnt backdrag driveways though with the ice, had to push it all up the driveway and pull the piles back down. Took forever...and shoveling that heavy crap was fun too.

11. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

The stuff that we pretreated came out good, the stuff that doesn't get salt....well thats another story. Good news is it's all going to melt.

12. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

That music has got to go!! boy are you dating yourself there with those tunes, I did not know you could get 8-tracks in the new trucks LOL

13. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

and it smashs into the pile and it shoots out in front its kinda funny. it washd the blade off nice thou

14. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

You should try moving all that crap with a Jeep!:eek: It did better than I would of thought.wesport Angling the blade was the hard part, could only do it a little bit. Full angle would just throw me off the driveway.
    This last time we had ice (2-13) it fell on some fluff, made it much easier to push.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008