1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lesson Learned

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Bigdoghd, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Bigdoghd

Bigdoghd Member

Well thought I'd be a good guy and clean up the village parking spaces for the bar next to us, since the village never cleared any of the spaces. Well the snow was a little hard, but not to bad. Was on my 6th pass and went to hit reverse and the wheel lost traction then grabbed, say good by to the reverse drum. Can't believe I did that!! Trans is out new one on the way, back on the road by 4pm providing the door cable that broke at my shop gets repaired.......what next!!! I can't win today
  2. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

Ouch!! What kinda truck?
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

crap happens....usually when you are trying to be nice lol
  4. Bigdoghd

Bigdoghd Member

It's a 1997 very clean Tahoe with a Sno-way blade on it. The snow wasn't that bad, but the truck bounced in reverse and broke the reverse drum. It's an old style and the new one is a tot stronger.

Bad luck since the snow hit, waited until wednesday morning to do my drive very very long.
    Got stuck 150 ft from the entrance, had to bring my Hummer up to pull it out, new tries sux on that truck, but it did it. Then to add insult to insult had to have a Ford F250 diesel come and do my drive. I think the Tahoe just sits to low, and it the deep stuff it bottoms out. Thinking either replace the Tahoe which has been a good truck til now or by a skidsteer that has multi uses and can do the job and pile the snow.
  5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

dont sweat it man, buy a nice 7'6 boss v blade and you wont have to sell your clean tahoe!
  6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Im bet'n you lost 2nd and overdrive too. If thats the case I hope you ordered "THE BEAST" reaction sunshell gear for that trans. The oem sunshell gear in the 4L60s are known to fail and the BEAST is the strongest you can get. Lots of MODs avail for those transmissions also to make them real tuff.
    ON a side note, let me know if you decide to sell that tahoe, Thats what im looking for this spring. It would do a much better job at pulling my 25' travel trailer than the jimmy does
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  7. Bigdoghd

Bigdoghd Member

Yes your correct, it didn't have that up graded hub and it sheered right off. So no reverse, he said everything else looked good. This guy is contracted by major manufactures and has like a 30 sq ft building with dyno for transmissions etc. The new trans has the up graded hub, but doubt it's the monster you describe. Ya this truck is extremely clean, new shocks, strobes, KC day lighters,tires, transmission, dual batteries with isolator. Plus all the maintenance is up to date. O'ya Jensen stereo with back up camera and speaker up grade. The plow is a 7' snow-way plow. the biggest issue I had with this big snow fall was the plow was folding over.

I was just bummed with it's performance in the real deep snow. My buddies F150 and of coarse the F250 Diesel that had to do my drive, performed a lot better??