1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lessen Tension on belt

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by RichieTNy, Dec 6, 2007.

1. RichieTNy

RichieTNy Junior Member

how do you lessen, or tighten tension on a 1988 cherokee. its different from the 1990's cherokee. 4.0 engine. there is no idler pulley under the power stearing pump. please help.
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

It may use the power steering pump to adjust the tension. The power steering pump mounts with slotted bolt holes loosen them up adj the tension - tighten them done. As I recall there is a bolt hidden on the back bottom of the pump you cant see it but its easy to feel and get a wrench on.
  3. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Yes, I also believe that it is the power steering pump, loosen all the bolts including the pivot point. To get the tension you need you will have to use a bar or large screwdriver as a lever to tighten the belt so that the alternator will not slip. Often thought of using belt dressing at 3am when the belt is srceaming, but I can't find it anywhere.