1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Legality for snow plowing in Ontario, Canada

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by beans, Dec 21, 2008.

1. beans

beans Junior Member

I recently received an `09 F250 PSD as a plow truck.
    The truck is mainly used to plow 2 private driveways and a commercial lot.

I`m a little unsure about the do`s and don`ts which surround plowing in the province of Ontario.

I`m familiar with HTA 62(31) and 181 but have not found any other laws regarding plowing.

Deposit of snow on roadway

181. No person shall deposit snow or ice on a roadway without permission in writing so to do from the Ministry or the road authority responsible for the maintenance of the road. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 181.

Flashing blue light on snow-removal equipment

(31) No person shall, while operating a road service vehicle on a highway, plow, salt or de-ice the highway or apply chemicals or abrasives to the highway for snow or ice control unless the road service vehicle is equipped with a lamp producing intermittent flashes of blue light visible for a distance of 150 metres from all directions. 1996, c. 33, s. 11.

If I were to obey HTA 181, the entrances to any of the lots will not get cleared well.

Any helpful tips, past experiences will be greatly appreciated as its not very enjoyable plowing these lots when I`m not too sure if what I doing is against the law.

One reason is after one night I plowed, an SUV smoked a mail box and phone poll near an entrance I just plowed. I was off the scene but live a couple of houses from the entrance as I was hand plowing that night. I was concerned because I had plowed from one side of the street to the other for the entrance and some `fall off`` was left on the road. This vehicle was traveling northbound. this was about 0300h and there was still considerable snow in the right lane.
  2. beans

beans Junior Member

nevermind, i found my answer.:drinkup:
  3. jwkv

jwkv Member

Where did you find the answer?
  4. beans

beans Junior Member

i just did some searching on this site since I'm not the first person to ask these questions.

in short, I just gotta stop pushing snow across the street.

it makes clearing the entrances a little tougher and not as clean, based on my skill level, but its better than getting sued!
  5. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

You'd better look into the blue light thing now too, it has been changed to amber due to the OPP starting to use Blue strobes....