1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Legal Warning Light Colors Illinois

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by bsmitty, Jul 26, 2012.

1. bsmitty

bsmitty Member
    from Chicago

Hi

Hope someone can help me. What are the legal colors for warning lights in Illinois. This would be on private property only, not public roadways. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

Brian

2. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

I'm not from your state but amber/orange is typical for snow plowing, towing and construction vehicles.

3. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Stuck with amber. Absolutely no red in IL and blue is only for emergency first responders.

4. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

Also be careful using white for anything other than reverse and work lights since sometimes that is for police/fire only.

5. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Well, technically in private property you can have any color lights you want. But you will be harassed like crazy if they see you. But amber and white are allowed in Illinois. But there is no reason to have flashing lights on when driving anyway. Only when plowing

6. bsmitty

bsmitty Member
    from Chicago

Thanks everyone for the input. I knew amber for sure was legal but wasn't sure if you could do white as well on private property.

Thanks

Brian

7. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

This really has No bearing to this post but I thought I would throw it in anyways. In the last 2 weeks I have traveled to Texas and Indiana and seen private road construction crews with the following light configurations. Texas white & amber front & rear, amber and blue Yes Amber and Blue on private contractors trucks front & rear & amber blue white front and rear. In Oklahoma I seen red white & amber with red only to the rear and amber white front and rear. now to Kansas I seen state vehicles State road trucks ( Not Police or Medical or Fire) with Red, Amber & White on front & rears.
    Now to Illinois I seen Amber & White setups front and rears and in Indiana I only seen amber. In Indiana they had toll road service vehicles that had Amber, Red & White showing from the rear. So it seems in my opinion there really isnt and uniform color anymore as long as your not running down the road with them on.
    I personally use Amber & White front and rear here in Iowa for 3 years now with No problems ever

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  8. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i have a amber light bar and 4 coner hide aways with 2 nice grills in white!

9. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

There are state laws "codes" and some villages / towns / cities have thier own twist on them that are even stricter than the state code. For instance in the Village of Lincolnshire you can not run strobe lights due to the risk of causing a siezure. Had a friend of mine get this ticket, he was on private property, pulled out to clear the apron and got nailed by the cop sitting across the street watching him in the middle of the night with no on else around. It is a local oridenance. Just food for thought, you need to know about the areas you are plowing in as well.

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Yea what he said, I would never run any flashy lights on any public IL roads. But on the other, I pay good money for our roads and I run like I own them. I never had any problems with lights or carring two 100 gal tanks all year long, some nights a third tank is along for the ride

11. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

It's about time that people start listening and quoting me! I am always right and I know everything! Why doesn't everyone know this? Lol

12. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

So after a little digging around on the internet (so it must be true:laughing:) this is what I have been able to find out about his. Below is the link, but I will also post a couple of the parts that I think petain to us...

http://learsradio.org/forms and docs/Skywarn/IL law regarding lights on vehicles.pdf

On page 7 when you scroll down---
    (d) The use of a combination of amber and white oscillating, rotating or flashing lights,
    whether lighted or unlighted, is prohibited except motor vehicles or equipment of the
    State of Illinois, local authorities, contractors, and union representatives may be so
    equipped; furthermore, such lights shall not be lighted on vehicles of the State of Illinois,
    local authorities, and contractors except while such vehicles are engaged in highway
    maintenance or construction operations within the limits of highway construction
    projects, and shall not be lighted on the vehicles of union representatives except when
    those vehicles are within the limits of a construction project.

(b) The use of amber oscillating, rotating or flashing lights, whether lighted or
    unlighted, is prohibited except on:
    1. Second division vehicles designed and used for
    towing or hoisting vehicles; furthermore, such lights shall not be lighted except as
    required in this paragraph 1; such lights shall be lighted when such vehicles are actually
    being used at the scene of an accident or disablement; if the towing vehicle is equipped
    with a flat bed that supports all wheels of the vehicle being transported, the lights shall
    not be lighted while the vehicle is engaged in towing on a highway; if the towing vehicle
    is not equipped with a flat bed that supports all wheels of a vehicle being transported, the
    lights shall be lighted while the towing vehicle is engaged in towing on a highway during
    all times when the use of headlights is required under Section 12-201 of this Code;
    2. Motor vehicles or equipment of the State of
    Illinois, local authorities and contractors; furthermore, such lights shall not be lighted
    except while such vehicles are engaged in maintenance or construction operations within
    the limits of construction projects;
    3. Vehicles or equipment used by engineering or survey crews; furthermore, such lights shall not be lighted except while such vehicles
    are actually engaged in work on a highway;
    4. Vehicles of public utilities, municipalities, or
    other construction, maintenance or automotive service vehicles except that such lights
    shall be lighted only as a means for indicating the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard
    requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing while such vehicles are
    engaged in maintenance, service or construction on a highway;
    5. Oversized vehicle or load; however, such lights
    shall only be lighted when moving under permit issued by the Department under
    Section 15-301 of this Code;
    6. The front and rear of motorized equipment owned
    and operated by the State of Illinois or any political subdivision thereof, which is
    designed and used for removal of snow and ice from highways;
    (6.1) The front and rear of motorized equipment or
    vehicles that (i) are not owned by the State of Illinois or any political subdivision of
    the State, (ii) are designed and used for removal of snow and ice from highways and
    parking lots, and (iii) are equipped with a snow plow that is 12 feet in width; these lights
    may not be lighted except when the motorized equipment or vehicle is actually being
    used for those purposes on behalf of a unit of government;

So if I am reading this right...then techinlly it is illegal to use lights at all unless you are a state vehicle even for plowing as it states in section (6.1) even in parking lots? But how ever my insurance requires my trucks / equipment to be properly illluminated while plowing or salting for safety reasons with atleast one device that is visible with 360 degree rotation or strobes on all four corners...hmm confusing

13. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

Clear as mud. Typlical state of IL Vehicle Code garbage. Stick with amber. You will be fine.

14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I got nothing outta that but how to get my vcr to quit flashing 1200. Wow that was bad

15. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

The part that cracked me up the most was how it authorized "union representatives" to have the same warning lights as the state:laughing:

16. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

In my area plenty of guys run around with their ambers on the road.

Also plenty of guys don't use any safety lights. I wouldn't feel safe plowing apartments with out them. I've got a big obnoxious bright one on the cab. Too many blind corners and too many corners to watch all at once at apartments.
    The residents do a pretty good job of watching out for the work trucks if they can see them.

17. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

ok so in march I bought a vector bar 7 lights total but only 5 rotate the other 2 are alley lights and i dont want them. does any one know some one selling or have access to 2 rotators that i can replace the alley lights with??? :help: all the light's are the same just different guts in them

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  18. Reliable Snow and Ice

pull the plug out of the wall.... that should do it.:laughing::laughing::waving:

19. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

But then I can't watch my taped all my children!!! Bahaha

20. Reliable Snow and Ice

yeah got me on that one