1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Legal to use ATV for clearing and salting sidewalks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bcbrouwer, Aug 19, 2012.

1. bcbrouwer

bcbrouwer Member

May be bidding on some lots which need the sidewalks plowed and salted. For me the cheapest and most convienent way to do this would be to plow and salt with an atv. How do you get these things legal for commercial use? they have an off road title. Just wondering who uses an atv for this task and what you did to make it legal for commercial parking lots. thanks
  2. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

don't know if you could legally do it. By the time you put lights, air bags, seat belts and all the paperwork, you would have a jeep wrangler. Most people take the chance of not getting caught. In PA, you can get a tag for construction machinery such as backhoes but you can't operate at night. Most people just trailer them to site.
  3. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

I would look in ATV section. A lot of go info.
  4. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

in wisconsin legal as long as plow and 360 veiwing yellow light is on .and can ride on road up to 2 miles from shop or trailer.
  5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

In NJ, you cannot run a quad down the road, at least that's what I've been told. Maybe if you put an equipment transit tag on it like a loader. We use them on larger sites, which technically are private property, thus motor vehicle laws do not apply. And the reality of it is that if its snowing not a lot of people are around breaking your stones over how the walks are getting done.