1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

legal plowing age michigan

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by adam5557, Nov 19, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 Member

Hey guys i am getting my licensce this winter and was interested what is the legal age to plow. I am interested in getting a plow for a few of my residential clients but mostly work for someone else with my truck.thanks

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

As far as I know. If you're old enought to drive you can plow. Unless you need a CDL for a larger truck. Then I think you need to be at least 18 with a certain amount of hours under your belt. Check with local and state laws though.

3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

If your plowing for yourself i think it's 16, however you need to be 18 if you plan on driving a company truck.

4. adam5557

adam5557 Member

What is the age if a company is subcontracting work to you.?thank you

5. LLMSERVICE

LLMSERVICE Junior Member

In Ontario, if its not a commercial vehicle, 16 would be fine. 18 is the minimum age for a commercial licence.

However, its the insurance industry with whom you will want to check with. Many may may require a higher minimum age. My drivers have to have a minimum of 3 years accident free driving - not 3 years plowing experience though.

6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

That age i don't know but if you want to be a sub you'll need a minimum of liabilty insurance. also me beeing a contractor you would need to be available 24/7 and beeing in school that can't happen.

7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If you can drive you can plow. Isurence is where it gets trickey under 18 but you can possibly go without it if your only plowing a few drives to start but I would not feel comfortable doing alot of drives for big money if uninsured.