1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Legal Plow Truck?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DCL, Oct 25, 2009.

1. DCL

DCL Member

What makes a legal plow truck? Our trucks themselves are fine but I am curious about strobes, back up lights, etc... What do you legally have to have? I have been looking into light bars, strobes, all that good stuff but it seems to be very expensive for good stuff. I may decide on just somthing cheap this season and upgrading later.

...Im in RI but would like any input regardless of where you're from. Thanks!

...Also wondering about any other legalities I should look out for based on your experience...

2. B.Bells

B.Bells Senior Member

INSURANCE slip/fall policy. and as for lights you must be able to be seen, cause max speed on any road for a plow truck is 45 mph. so light it up well. and yes they are not cheap but you can fab them yourself for a fraction of the cost, if you have access to a weilder.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

1st is to have a plow,2nd is a liscense plate other then that, I don;t need any of that other stuff here.

4. DCL

DCL Member

Yeah, ive got all my insurances, and business stuff set up, etc.

Mostly wondering about the lights. I heard from somone that clear (white) strobes were illigal while driving. Also heard every truck that is carring a plow must have at least one amber strobe and proper backup lighting. Just curious as to what it is I need...

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Legally here you just need headlights,taillights and brake lights. (factory lighting)

6. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

It varies by state and local law for lighting.

Some require a flashing light or rotator. Some prohibit it on the road.

Best to check local law.

7. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

You shouldn't need strobes to travel from lot to lot......maybe an amber rotator or something *(if it is a blizzard or something)*....But when your plowing I think you should have at least a rotator. Around here there are only a few guys with a small single strobe, Like the state trucks have.

And as far as it being legal......just crank up all of your lights on PRIVATE property, that should be none of the cops problem. And if I understand it correctly you can only have amber facing forward, and red facing rear, for the on-road use. But I'm sure I don't know it all, and it is different state to state. It may not hurt to run down to the Courthouse or city building and see what they have to say.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

In Maine you have to have an orange flashing light, plow, and a drivers liscence.

9. DCL

DCL Member

yeah I think ill check up on RI local laws. The guys up at the town hall should know. I was told just factory lights plus a rotating or flashing orange light able to be seen 360 degrees. But ill double check. Thanks guys!

10. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

Good Topic - I have a relevant question that maybe one of the pro's can answer for me:

I believe in NYS you need an amber light while plowing. Suppose I am plowing for my employer and I get a ticket for not having an amber light - who is ultimately at fault? Is it the person who is operating the motor vehicle without the light or the employer who is not providing vehicles in accordance with the law?

I suspect it's my responsibility and therefore my ticket, but I'm just looking for someone to verify that. Currently we don't have amber lights, but I always use my 4-ways whenever I'm near a road. This winter I will probably buy one just to play it safe, even though it's not my truck.

Thanks Guys

- Dan

11. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

Anyone from Ontario have input on this?

12. B.Bells

B.Bells Senior Member

In my eyes as a owner its my job to give you the correct tools to get the job done, with that being said if I was an employee I wouldn't drive it unless I had what I Needed to make it legal or yes you are taking the ticket and smiling about it,:laughing:

13. 04bluediesel

04bluediesel Junior Member
    from Ohio

Around here it depends what city you are in and which Barney Fife is working and has not made his ticket quota for the week. I have found the LEDS are great. I put 2 in the top portion of the grill so you can see them over the plow and 2 on the back. I also have a strobe on a pole that is attached to my salt box. The Western 1000 is already wired for it

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If that's true, it's not enforced. At all......

15. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I have never seen the police pulling over any plow trucks in R.I. We have amber lights.Your supposed to have permit for the lights, Not sure where to get it. But it"s not in forced.

16. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

Anyone got an answer for this in WI and IL, do you need your amber going while traveling or just while plowing?

45mph travel speed, is this true, I usually go the speed limit, 35-55, on the freeway I do 75, as long as I am not overheating, but am I suppose to be doing 45 max?

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What should be required is a spill proof cup holder.

See signature. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

18. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

19. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

what about in Indiana? i am doing personal plowing so when i am actually plowing it will be on private property and not matter. but what are the rules when driving with the plow on the road? anything i should really pay attention too??

20. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

In MN, you may have a amber(orange/yellow) beacon facing any direction...not sure about white, check local laws, but STAY AWAY FROM RED AND BLUE although some states may allow flashing red to the rear. also, while i plow i run not only the beacon but my hazards, whether near a road or not, and during a storm i will drive with my beacon on for more visibility-check your state and local laws for legality here though.