1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

legal 8 ft or 7'6" plow w wings Tundra?

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks' started by hosenfeffer, Apr 30, 2016.

1. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

My 3/4 ton beast is dying and thinking of going with a lightly used Tundra. Down to a couple driveways and one smallish parking lot but long straight runs. Need to be legal per plow vendor. Also do about 15K a year towing so the mileage boost compared to my 10 MPG present would be a help too. TIA ,arty

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I run an 8' Fisher HD on my Tundra with out an issue. I have Bilstien 5100 coil overs and they are a lot better than the stock coil overs.

3. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

The tundra is a beast of a half ton, but, it's still a half ton. 7'6" with wings or an 8' would be the most I would do. It can hold a bigger plow but you take a risk with anything bigger.

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

7'6" with wings would be the way I'd go. Less weight on the front equals less wear. I know its not a big difference but every but helps

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get the 8ft plow.
    Then use counterweight to take some of the weight off of the front,
    This will ballance out your truck and you will gain traction.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I herd if you put helium in your tyres it will also reduce the wait on the front end.

Philbilly2 likes this.
  7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Nope, the weight would still be the same.
    500# is still 500# even if it is floating on helium.

8. Mark Oomkes

Next thing you're going to tell me that the nitrogen I paid extra for in my tyres was a scam.....

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

if you sleep better at night....
    Winter nitrogen or summer nitrogen?

for me it would be a scam as i adjust the air up or down,
    depending on if i'm running empty or with a light load or a heavy load.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  10. atrinh15

atrinh15 Junior Member

You want legal? Than go to fisher website and do the ematch. Norhing bigger than a 7'6 SD plow. Fisher dealer will sell cash and carry for a bigger plow but they will not install it on your rig. I have a 7.5 xblade at 742lbs. 300 lbs over what fisher allows. If i ever get into an accident it could be my fault cu of the plow. Just saying if you want legal.

My truck is a beast and love it. Handles it no problem

11. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

[QUOTE="
    My truck is a beast and love it. Handles it no problem[/QUOTE]

Ya, your half-ton truck is a beast. Okay, I'll leave it at that.

12. JustJeff

I'd go with a 7'-6" with wings. It'll carry far more snow than an 8' straight blade. The straight blade is the most inefficient blade available to move snow.

13. atrinh15

atrinh15 Junior Member

Funny that a Ram 2500 only tows 1000 lbs more than a 1/2 ton Tundra. But Ya ill leave it that

14. JustJeff

Mine is rated to tow a 17,950 lb. trailer. http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/pdf/2013_RAM.2500.Towing.Specs.pdf

And the Toyota has a maximum towing capability of 10,500. So I'm not sure where you got your information, but it's wrong. http://www.toyota.com/tundra/2017/features/weights_capacities/8228/8240/8252/8275.

You really don't want to get into the "My half-ton can do as much as a Super Duty" argument. Can a half-ton push snow? Yes. Is it the absolute best tool for the job? No. Mine isn't the "absolute best" tool for the job either, but it does a good job of it. I will leave this alone for now, so this thread can get back on topic. I'm the one that derailed it in the first place, and I apologize to the OP.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    ktfbgb likes this.
  15. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Last year I kept sliding around on ice, wasn't until winter was over I realized I still had the summer blend :rolleyes:

SnoFarmer likes this.
  16. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Yeah, but in NH the specific gravity directly under snow plows is less, ask old dog, he can explain it to you... he explained it all very well in another thread... :confused:

JustJeff likes this.
  17. Mark Oomkes

olddog's brain is fried from too mulch time in the deep South.

SnoFarmer likes this.
  18. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Yeah, the my truck is better than yours argument. OP I suggest a 8' plow. Wings can add stress to the plow and are much easier to damage. A lot of Tundra guys are running 8' plows with proper changes to suspension with little issues. I would be willing to bet more than half members here are running overweight with their plow rigs, I am.

And yes swap out the summer air for winter air, also swap the coolant for straight water since coolant will not let the engine get up to temp in the cold weather.

19. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Wanna bees will always be wanna bees. I guess maybe it's a beast for a half ton? But sorry guy it's no super duty, stop trying to play with the big boys. Your rice burner will never come close to American heavy steel.

20. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Not everybody needs a 3/4 ton. I plow two driveways so, I don't need a 3/4 ton that rides like sh!t when I'm not plowing. If you are plowing a bunch of driveways or do a bunch of comercial work then a 3/4 ton is the way to go but, you don't need a 3/4 to plow.