1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Left wing will not retract

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by chp, Dec 3, 2009.

1. chp

chp Junior Member

Okay, here's my problem. hooked up my 7'6" V boss and the left wing will not retract using the the controller. Every thing else works fine. just the left wing will not retract to the V position. Is their someone that rebuilds the controller or am I stuck bying a new controller for my RT3. It is on a 1990 K1500 Chevy

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just work the wing by hand.The center pin maybe rusted ,then grease it.

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

How sure are you its your controller?

4. chp

chp Junior Member

The center pin is not rusty. you can't work the wing by hand because the controller is not opening the solenoid to allow the wing to move back to the V position. I know it is the controller because all other funtions work correctly.The left wing goes forward just fine and then it will not respond to thumb pad inputs to retract unless I monkey with it and then it will on occasion. I took it apart to see if it was dirty/corroded but no signs of a problem

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The board in your handheld controller is bad then. I am not sure if you can buy replacement boards or not. If you have a buddy with a vee controller try his or go to your local dealer and see if they have one you can use to see if yours is bad.

6. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

If your controller is the second generation SmartTouch2 controller, the circuit board is replaceable. I just bought one at cuttingedgesnow.com, was an easy fix

7. grandview

Put a test light on it and see if the wire is broken.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes I'd be checking the actual function before I would be willing to sell a $300 controller you may not even need.

1) Raise the plow and run the wing out.
    2) Disconnect the controller.
    3 With the ignition on use a jumper wire on the truck side of the controller plug to jump the black and red/black wires.

If the wing retracts then the controller is faulty. If it doesn't, then you have an issue on the plow or in the truck side harness, not the controller.

Easy enough. :salute:

9. chp

chp Junior Member

Well, I went to the locale BOSS dealer and got a new controller (smart touch 2) for a mere $317.61 and I did not even get a reach around! Fixed the problem,thanks for the suggestions and the link to cuttingedgesnow.com. Now I have another place to find parts at a more reasonable cost and will not have to take one in the shorts from the locale dealer.

10. grandview

Leave it in the box and do what BB said first!

11. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

There is also a mode that the V goes into when the fluid is low. I want to say left wing won't move.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct except it's extend, not retract.

13. chp

chp Junior Member

Thanks B&B,the controller was faulty. In addition to the wing problem the on/off switch started to operate intermettently,so I guess it was time for a new controller