1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Left wing on XV not retracting properly

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by SharpBlades, Nov 30, 2014.

1. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Im having trouble with the wing on my xtreme vee. Friday this plow worked fine, today I go to move it and the left (driver side) wing is acting up.

At first it wouldn't extend, now it extends fine but retracts very slowly. All other functions work fine, but when I go to retract the wing, the pump sounds like it is straining.

Any ideas of what should be checked first?

2. SharpBlades

Also, I have always changed the fluid annually, and last year I replaced the motor relay with the new multiplex relay.

From what I'm reading on the mechanic guide this might be a problem with the S5 cartridge valve?... I guess if nobody has any simple things to check I'll be running this blade to the repair shop because all those cartridge valves and coils etc are way over my head lol

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

The solenoids are held on the cartridges by a nut and there are 2 wires that press fit on. Then the cartridges turn out like bolts would. Very simple. If you suspect it is the #5 cartridge, change it out with the cartridge for the right wing. If the right wing acts lazy, that is the problem.

4. SharpBlades

Thanks buswell, I will try that tomorrow.... I don't know what is going on for sure. yesterday as soon as I got to my shop, the plow worked fine for about 5 minutes or so, then became slow again.

My appointment at the dealership is for Tuesday next week, so maybe I'll be able to figure it out before then

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I had this same exact same problem with mine. And the problem was intermittent, sometimes it worked just fine. Came to find out it had a "ballooned" valve which didn't allow it to flow freely. After checking the rest of them, there were actually six of them that way. Changed them and it works perfectly. Doing exactly what Buswell described is how I found out what was wrong.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014