1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

left wing DXT issue

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by RSE, Feb 10, 2014.

1. RSE

RSE Member

Hi everyone,
    Had a small issue with my brand new DXT stainless this morning. When retracting into vee mode, the left wing only returned about halfway. After several attempts to move it with just the remote button control, it would only come back halfway. It seemed really slow and weak. Driving back to the shop I played with it and after about 20 swings, it retracted all the way.
    I figured there was some ice built up in a spot I could not see and the issue was over but, when I got home about 20 mins later, the same problem occured. Again I swung it in and out until it finally closed all the way.
    Does ice build up somewhere and cause this problem or am I facing some other potentially expensive fix? Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks!!:dizzy:

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Sounds to me like either your hydraulic fluid is low or there is air in the lines that needs to be bled.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

If I'm not mistaken, on a boss its spring returned. I would check the tension.

4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

possibly something wrong with the smartlock cylinder. the spring is what pulls it back, so if that's good and there's no air in the system, I would think the smartlock may be malfunctioning.

5. RSE

RSE Member

All great insights!! I happened to check the fluid level and it was low enough that you could not see the level in that little plastic street elbow used as a filler. Added almost half a quart before I could see the level. Purged the air as per Boss specs and have not had a problem yet. Seems to retract just as quick as the right side.
    Thanks everybody, B

6. Hegartydirtwork

Hegartydirtwork Senior Member

RSE, who mounted your dxt ? I'm over the border in hillsdale ny and the nearest boss dealer is jacobs garage in falls village Connecticut

7. RSE

RSE Member

Hoffman Ford in East Hartford Ct...they use an outside vendor called Axle and Spindle. I believe that outfit installs all the plows seing the company is right down the street from the dealership.

8. Hegartydirtwork

Thank you for the response, how do you like your dxt?

9. RSE

RSE Member

No problem H, I really have to get used to this new plow as I am just weaning off the fisher extreme V. Couple of interesting points:
    1. The control drives me nuts...still have my thumb programmed to a fish stik.
    2. Power down is the best....'nuff said.
    3. EZ off EZ on... like a good McDonalds on the highway.
    4. I really dig the built in curb guards.
    5. Dual trip works great...I plow kinda gingerly but do step on the gas alot. Nice to know you are covered when that frozen snowbank joins the party.
    6. My clients call the new plow,"shining armor".

All and all I am very impressed with the Boss DXT. It is built very strong, capable of many functions and is adaptable to many snowplowing applications.

Are you out near Catamount? Do they still call that area "no mans land"?

10. Hegartydirtwork

I am near catamount, I've only lived hear since 2010 so I have no idea if the call it no mans land, but they probably should. If there is one thing you could take off your xtreme v and put on your dxt what would it be?