1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

left=up and Im in need of guidance

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I bought a used 8'0" western unimount and when i bought hte truck all was working great

we;; when i got home, it wouldnt angle to the left.

Well I finally decided to go look at it today, and i chked all the connections and the fluid.

Well it will go up and down no problem, but it wont angle left, and when you try it goes up.

SO i looked at the mech guide and it said to check the valves. Well if I take them out what do i use to clean them.

I am also going to flush the system and put in new fliud.

Should I raise the plow and then drain it and un hook the hoses and angle in by hand to release all the fluid, and is there any way to flush it to get all the old fluid out?

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The S2 valve isn't shifting so thats the one you want to concentrate on. Before pulling any out though first check that one for magnetism. 90% of the time it's an electrical issue, not a hydraulic or valve issue. Poor connection at the grill plug most times.

Brake clean is fine of you get into cleaning anything.
  4. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I noticed that the grill plug was acting weird because my headlights wouldnt switch over with out wiggleing he harness.

Should I clean the harness and reapply di-electric grease?
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, clean both halves throughly and spread the pins on the plow side connector a little. If it's still a no go you may have a broken wire in the plug... necessitating replacement of course.
  6. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

If it is a pin problem in the plug you can purchase replacment ends for this so you do not need to change the whole harness.
  7. baldplowguy

baldplowguy Junior Member

Replacing just the end seems a temporary fix. There are a ton of connections to make....
  8. 79bronco

79bronco Junior Member

To flush it put the blade down...float it...push the lift ram down...pull motor...suck oil out...pull pump and clean or replace filter and magnet...disconnect angle hoses...manually push the blade side to side at least 3 times then put it all back together and fill with new oil.

Like said before is the #2 valve. It is possible for the valve to have frozen after the blade has sat around for awhile...If you have magnet pull the valve out and make sure the plunger moves freely. clean with brake cleaner.

If it is the grille plugs just put the replacement ends on. There not that hard to do and the harness comes with everything you need. All you need is wire strippers and a heat gun. The directions are very detailed.

Good luck