1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Left snowblower out in rain, then froze, now won't run...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gardenpro, Dec 2, 2014.

1. gardenpro

gardenpro Junior Member
    from WA

I left a just factory tuned up snowblower out in the rain, 3 days of poring rain!
    Then it froze solid for a few days. And wouldn't start. Well the pull cord was somewhat frozen in, as was choke.
    Today I dragged it indoors and thawed it out for the day.

It still won't start, nothing, no spark that I can tell. This is a machine that started first pull after no usage for 7 months.

Can you suggest what to look for? Water in air filter? Or? Haven't done this to a snowblower previously- pure neglect!
    It's a Honda 1132.

Thanks!

2. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

No spark, possible ignition coil issue... more likely something to do with your on/off switch filled with water/frozen.

It's thawed but has it had time to really dry out?

There's probably a wire that plugs into the ignition module, you can try unplugging that and then checking for spark, the switch may still be taking it to ground even in the on position.

3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

you sure no spark? pull it off and have someone you don't like hold it for a few pulls lol, no seriously though, don't do that. I know a lot of these motors, have a tendancy with pouring rain to get water in to the vent of the fuel fill caps.. pumps, lawn mowers, tillers, even snow blowers, especially since you said it iced up, maybe that ice got closer to the cap and allowed more rain/water in? doesn't take much.

Drain some fuel out the carb bleeder valve if it has one "snow blowers always have all that plastic around them sometimes", and hook up to the 110v AC starter so you don't have to pull start 100 times to get the water out.

I know because our guys have put diesel into the gas engine snow blowers more times than i'd like to divulge. These engines are menat to be wet, they don't use air filters "if yours has one, its likely wet so remove it to start it"... and they're around melting snow "water" all the time they're used.. dry out good, drain some fuel, or all of it and refill.

If yours has no electric start, going to have to keep pulling forever after you drain some fuel out.

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Thawing is only thing, drying is another. No Spark, check ignition coil and the O/F switch. Then I'd drain the fuel system and might be inclined to change the oil if you find water in the carb.

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I would bet water or condensation in the fuel. Fresh gas and some Sea Foam additive or just try the Sea Foam in the gas first.

6. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Bet the carb bowl is mostly water

7. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Did you figure it out, let people know what you have learned share the lesson.

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

1st thing is don't leave your blower in a down pour for 3days then let is freeze........:nod:

9. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Ok, I thinking a little more specific, that is a good start though.