1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

left ruts in unfrozen ground

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gc3, Dec 11, 2009.

1. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

The last snowfall I had to push the snow into the yard and the ground wasn't frozen enough. When I was getting done I noticed I was leaving tire ruts out to the snow pile 60 feet out. Any tips on how to do this without tearing it up real bad if you have to push it into the yard and the ground isn't frozen enough?:realmad:

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Dont push it out there before the ground freezes. Consider yourself lucky. I did that last night. Went I went to back up, I went straight down. Tried two pickups, then called a wrecker.

3. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

How long do you think it takes the ground to freeze good enough if its below 32 degrees so you can drive on it?

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Now you have something to do next spring.
    Raise the plow when you get to grass and drive on the snow

5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I raised the blade about 3 inches each time I got to the grass to drive out but the weight of the truck, plow, and ballast drove my tires down over my tracks on the way to and from the pile. I was in 4wd hi, maybe if the ground isnt frozen I should be in 4wd low so the tires wont spin.

6. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

With the snow cover on the ground the ground won't freeze much...The snow acts like a blanket preventing the cold from penatrating into the ground ...
    That's the bad thing about getting this kind of snow before the ground freezes...

7. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

So how do you modify your plowing to adjust for this. The homeowners want their drive done, you need to push it in the yard but if you do you'll leave ruts, you can't always push it across the street.