1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Left right up, no down

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PremierSnowPlow, Feb 16, 2016.

1. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

After 14hrs of plowing my plow decided to stop going down. I did a search and came up with a few posts from a few years ago but nothing helpful. Tested a different controller to make sure mine wasn't bad and still got nothing. Plow moves left and right as it should and motor runs when I hit the up button but when I hit down it does nothing. Tried jumping on it with it in float trying to free it up and nada. Any tricks to try and get my answer of what it could be? Thanks guys. It's a ultramount by the way. 3 plug straight blade

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Pull rectangular plastic cover off of side of the pump. Check for current to coil with the white/yellow wire connected to it. Controller activated to lower and there should be magnetism at coil. Watch your toes in case plow decides to drop! If current there and magnetism then pull cartridge and check movement.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Does the green float light come on when you hold the down button for two seconds?
    What kind of plow is it? Wide-out, MVP+ or straight blade, two grill plugs or three? Or is it some old antique cable plow? Details please.

4. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

3 plug Ultra Straight blade

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

In case it was missed the first time

6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Cant remember the exact sysmptoms, but I think I had a truck with a really sloppy 11pin once and this would happen.

I want to say that I used a pick to work the pins tight again and when I plugged the 11 pin back in the plow slammed to the ground.

Not for sure on this as it was many moons again, but that sticks out in my head as another time I almost lost my toes!:eek:

7. PremierSnowPlow

Changed the coil today and still nothing. Just use a volt meter to check for magnetism?

8. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Sounds like your not getting power to coil? Check with volt meter power on white/yellow wire while plow control is in lower.
    As far as magnetism you can just put something that's metal to the coil and it should act like a magnet and hold it while energized.

9. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

If you do have power to that coil then pull the valve out which is under the coil and check for movement.

10. PremierSnowPlow

Ok ill try that tomorrow. I thought it might be a bad iso module also but am gonna try the valve first. Hope I can get this figured out before next week! Were supposed to get hit with another storm.

11. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Not to often you run into problems with the isolation module. More likely wiring or the valve. Good luck!

12. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Isolation module is primarily for lights but also forwards power to the controller but your controller is working for some function so that eliminates the isolatin module.
    Either your coil is not getting power or the valve is stuck.

You can use a 9 volt transistor battery to test the coil and valve. Just remove both wires and touch the little battery to
    the terminals. If the plow drops on your toes you know the valve is ok.

Since the coils have a common ground you could also use a jumper wire to the positive side of the coil.

13. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Good info Mishnick! Keep forgetting about the 9 volt battery trick.

14. PremierSnowPlow

Turned out to be a wire pulled out at the controller connection

15. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Glad to hear you resolved the problem. Good luck!

16. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

I have the same thing going on with a truck. Haven't really been worried about it. I know S2 was on the way out, banging right when I hit left sometimes. Now she is stuck up. Heading out in a bit to play with her.

Some great info in this thread. I Will report back.

17. PremierSnowPlow

Good luck! I went through a few things before I had seen the copper wire showing behind the connector for the controller. Thank god wambachs sells used Iso modules and I didn't spend almost 300$ for a new one.

18. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

Well scratch that, one of the grounds came loose at the coil. Probably when I changed the filter, fluid and cleaned the screen before the cold weather last weekend. Done. Now I just have to check the S2 cartridge. I moved the truck during our storm on Tuesday to clear my driveway a bit. When it didn't go down I said F it and went back to my main rig. Laziness I guess.

19. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Glad it was something easy!!!