1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Left Over Bulk Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MWM, Mar 23, 2003.

1. MWM

MWM Junior Member

I have about 12 ton of bulk left that I don't think will get used. The bin it is in I use for topsoil in season. I haven't needed to stock soil yet but it's getting close. I have plenty of area out back to relocate it to but its not on pavement and it would be hard to keep covered.
    Surely I'm not the only one who can't order and use an exact amount. Anyway, does any one have any aces up their sleeves for when this happens.
    It was a good winter and if I have to eat it, it won't be the end of the world but I'd like to either get my cost back or keep some of it usable.

Anyone? Buehler?

2. SWR11

SWR11 Junior Member
    from Canada

How about trying to sell it to other contractors? DOT will take it for free.

3. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Your in the exact same situation as me, We have about 20 tons left over and the mulch is coming really soon. So we are going to move it to the back of the bin and tarp it as good as we can and hope that it stays good, really hate to throw it away and it is always good to have some on hand in case you get caught with an early season storm, So maybe you have some where on your property to tarp it and keep it, if not you will have to find some one that will take it for free. This happens every year, sometimes we have alot left over sometimes very little. Just my two cents

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've got about 4 or 5 tons that I'm hoping to use later this summer to treat with Magic-0. If I store it in an old garage, can I expect it to keep if I put a plastic cover between the salt and the concrete floor?

5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

It's lookin like a lad could make him some money with a huge summer time salt storage shed,just like the mini sheds!Charge monthly for rent and skim a little off for myself,just kiddin:D ,The little bit of salt we use is bagged but were the sand is stored needs to make way for topsoil,luckily the sand can just be moved elsewere and covered.

6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Mick, treat it now and it will do fine on the concrete.

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

A 20' overseas shipping container will hold about 20 tons, or thereabouts. They generally sell for about $1500 + depending on where you are. IT's not a premanaent structure, so you won't get taxed on it, and you can use it for other things when it is empty.

I know some contractrors that put the small container on large sites to store skid loaders, blowers, bagged product, etc during the winter. Then in the off season, fill it with left over salt. Since the containers are built for use overseas, they have a pretty good coating on the steel interior.

~Chuck

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Thanks, Alan.