1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

left and right activates at same time (sometimes)

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by summit_670_1998, Nov 16, 2014.

1. summit_670_1998

summit_670_1998 Junior Member

i believe i have a e-47 meyers plow. it does the strangest thing. at first i thought something was binding but i have confirmed that is not the case. when angling right if i let go of the lever the plow stops instantly if i try to go left it will not go. i have to flick the switch right to give the plow a hard shake and sometimes it will go left but most of the time i have to do this 2 or 3 times before i can get it to go left again. if i end up at full angle right its a nightmare to get it to come back .that involves smashing it against a tree and forcing it left. im only going to do this until something breaks. now the problem is the pump is pushing fluid to both cylinders at the same time. i know this because both hoses get extremely hard (pressurized) at the same time and the plow gets very rigid on the truck. i have changed oil 3 -5 times replaced solenoids on the pump and one valve (used) cleaned all connections . put all new terminals on the switch inside the truck. any suggestions welcome!

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Start with replacing quick connects.

3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

agreed. it sounds like the quick connects are bad.

4. summit_670_1998

both ends pump side and plow side?

5. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like what my old Meyer CP-8 used to do. It was always the C-valve on mine. The purpose of the c-valve is that it acts as a safety, when you hit something while plowing with one side of the plow, it is what "bleeds" off pressure and allows the plow to angle, protecting it from damage. If you hit something, including ice, that angles the plow fast enough or repeatedly, it will cause the valve to mushroom or swell and cause the plow to stick. Repeated attempts to angle will finally free the valve and let it move. Check by removing the nut that holds the electrical coil onto the valve. You should then be able to slide the coil up off the valve. If the valve is mushroomed and bad, it will be difficult to slide the coil off and may require some gentle prying with a flat bladed screwdriver. If the coil comes right off easily, the valve is more than likely Ok. C-valve runs about $100.00 here and takes about 45 minutes to swap out if you have the boot still covering the pump as half of that time is taken by removing/replacing the boot. I got to where I started keeping a spare c-valve hanging on the garage wall so I could swap it out in the middle of my route if it started acting up on me. I went through one or two a year.

6. kimber750

This so not the purpose of the C valve. The crossover relief valve is there to protect the hydraulic system from impacts. An improperly adjusted crossover will destroy C valves since all the pressure will be sent to that valve. This is the most common cause of C valve swelling. The only purpose of C valve is move the plow right, nothing else.

7. kimber750

Yes, I would replace them all. You should be able to hook the hoses up without the quick connects if you want to try that before buying couplers.

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

is it a slick stick?...when they go bad it creats problems

9. summit_670_1998

is the c valve the one closest to plow? furthest from truck? if so the one that was on there was swelled i thought it was from water that had gotten into the system and froze and expanded it.. i have replaced the valve with a used one that was not swelled . could the solenoid be bad? and be causeing this? i cannot remember if i replaced it or not i think i did.

10. summit_670_1998

what do you mean? iv heard this before or read it. i have one joy stick? black round base.

11. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Well, apparently mine was not adj correctly, because I had to replace what my dealer told me was the c-valve. I watched them working on it the very first time I had that problem and saw what they did and what was replaced. I asked them what caused it to swell like that and that was what was explained to me. So sorry if I have incorrect info. That is what I was told by the dealer that sold me and repaired that plow. It was my first plow. I no longer have it, so it is no longer a concern for me, but sorry again if I did give bad info.

12. kimber750

C valve is the green wire. Very common for them to swell when damaged, either from impact of an object and even water in the system. Normally when C valves swells plow will only go left or right, not both. Also you have pressure in one hose not both.

That would be a slick stick.

Most likely they did replace the C valve. Even with properly adjust crossover a hard enough hit will swell the C valve. Water in the system can swell the valve. It's just not there to protect the system from impacts.

No need to apologize, just explaining what C valve does do.

13. summit_670_1998

I have pressure in both hoses that's what's stopping it from going back left . At first last year the plow would only go left .I fixed that problem I thought by fixing wires at switch and replacing c valve . Before if you switched right it would go left and left would go left .but this is a different problem and now that I think of it .it's been happening slowely and getting worse. Before you would angle it left (from being angled right) and you could see the plow move very slow left the motor would sound like it was under extreme load if you would let go of the button after a few seconds you could see all of a sudden the pressure would release the plow would go left a inch or two without touching anything and it would work normal again . It no longer acts like that it locks solid and will not go back left unless I have room right to give it a hard shake a few times than maybe I can convince it. All the info I can think of right now. I will be getting new quick connects tomorrow after work

14. summit_670_1998

I just looked at the print out I have and it was the b valve I changed bc of swelling the one closest to the plow

15. summit_670_1998

Ok update I changed quick connects and seems good for now but discovered my c valve is swollen extremly bad .I changed it with a used one off a spare pump I have that was,swollen less lol. I'll get a new one . Question thought what does the c valve control? Left right up down ?

16. kimber750

A valve = Down
    B valve = Up
    C valve = Right
    Motor Only = Left