1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED's / strobes in tail lights?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by WOODY367, Jan 28, 2009.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Has anyone put strobes or LED's the the reverse light of a 99-04 F250? I just got the Whelen LAW4 LED hideaways but it looks real tight if they fit at all. Just wondering who has done it.

2. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

Whelen Vertex there tiny getthose i love mine

3. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Already have the LAW4 and they are brighter.

4. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

I think you'll have a hard time fitting those in the reverse light, I've got Vertex leds in mine and there isn't much room to spare.

5. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

How big are they compared to regular strobes I put Whelen screw in strobes in my reverse lights last night they just barley fit.

6. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

The height is about the same as a strobe and smaller in diameters. They only require a 3/4" hole. Where did you guys put the holes?

7. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I will try to get pictures tommrow for you.

8. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thank you, I do not want to cut and find out it will not fit in that spot although I have a spare taillight.

9. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

i know but vertex are all around smaller and easyer to install

10. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

They will fit with no prob in the reverse lights, its the 08's and up that are smaller. I drilled in from the tail gate side so the two bulbs almost form a 90 degree, but without touching. Work much netter in reverse lights

11. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

I did the same as snow game....There is a "semi-flat" spot on the side of the housing that makes for easy drilling. If it ever stops snowing here, i'll pull one of the lenses and take some pics for you.

12. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thanks guys. The LAW4 has a larger base then the VERTEX so they stick out more. I will wait to see who post photos first. I also ordered a set of vertex so if need be I will put 2 LAW's in the red tail, 2 LAW's in the front and put the 2 VETEX in the revers and sync them all.

13. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

heres another thread that shows a picture where they can be mounted in the reverse light. I mounted my ecco leds in the same spot. when you drill it helps if you have a drill press and also make sure you hold the taillight real good because the hole saw likes to wonder.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=47464&highlight=hide

I looked up the law4 I couldnt find a drawing of it, but from the looks of the picture you may have trouble getting that in there.

14. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thanks I won't have time this weekend but will try it during the week.

15. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

If the LEDs are smaller than the strobes, they should fit without any problem. The important part is making sure the wires dont get pinched when you put the tail light back into the truck.

:salute: