1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LED's Nova or Whelen / Amber or Clear

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by swtiih, Aug 25, 2009.

1. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking to outfit my 08 superduty with hide-away LED's using either the Whelen vertex or Nova x1100. I want an amber flash because that is the only color allowed by law.

1) Which will be brighter and better quality,Whelen or Nova?

2) If I go with the Nova's:
    should I use the Amber LED mounted in the clear portion of the headlamp or
    the Clear LED mounted in the amber turn signal housing?

According to the Nova website the Amber LED is rated at about 358 lumens &
    the Clear LED is rated at 1100 lumens. Even though the Clear LED is rated higher lumens installing it behind an amber lense may decrease the light output significantly.

Any information from the experienced guys out there would be greatly appreciated.

I will probably install some lin3's or linz6's just not sure where.

2. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

as far as leds, colored leds are brighter behind their matching lense color. Clear leds behind a colored lense will decrease the light output. Clear strobes are fine for putting behind colored lense. If your using these as primary warning id go with the strobe hideaways.

3. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

personally i would go with grill mounted leds in the front like linz6 or lin3 the newer style super duty head lights have a double wall and they cost alot of money
    go whelen no matter what u do

example
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

go whelen. as for haws youll have to put a 1 inch hole in the first wall of the lense and then the 3/4 inch into the reflector. so the light can mount properly.

anyway. for grille lights go with linz6s they are much brighter and will be better suited for your application.

also with the hideaways match the led color to the lense. amber behind amber wont necessarily be brighter but will produce a much better amber color while the clear behind the amber will wash to a bright yellow.

5. ultimate plow

from N. IL

Grill lights are cool and all, but really not needed. hideaway strobes are great, hit full 360 degees around the vehicle. then an amber on top for primary warning. Stick with federal signal and whelen.

6. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

most definitely not the whelen for the amber......they use clear led under a yellow lens.

nova uses real amber leds....much nicer....

7. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Well dont know if you talkn about the grill lights or hideaways. But your wrong on both accords. Just take a look at them. And i know because i have both. Amber LEDs on the whelens buddy.

8. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

9. ultimate plow

from N. IL

Im pretty sure george is right

10. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

149 is a bit expensive

11. maelawncare

I have just taken my whelen mini justice apart. I broke one of the strobes when it flew off the truck. Believe me they are amber leds not amber lenses. It has both LIN3s and TIR3s in it.

And how the hell could you say they use amber lenses. Just look at them. Their CLEAR!

And look at this one. Clear lens
    http://www.sirennet.com/led-haw-builder.html

12. maelawncare

Actually thats really cheap.

13. ultimate plow

from N. IL

:waving:
    Hes talking about the vertexs man. Same with the LAWs. The amber comes with a colored lense. The leds are clear and thats why theyre a yellowish color. The link you posted of the clear ones are that of a clear light.:waving:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  14. maelawncare

OMG :angry: Wheres the bang head agaisnt wall smilie. You can chose amber with those. They show clear on all their hideaways cause their brighter. Blues have the least amount of light output.

I have never seen a whelen LED that uses a clear LED under amber lens. Even their responder series has a amber lens but is a amber LED.

15. ultimate plow

from N. IL

All the lightheads and lightbars use amber LEDs dude. Again, were talking about the vertexs and LAWs. Im pretty sure these use a colored lense over the white led.

16. 2tonsoffordfun

2tonsoffordfun Member
    from Maine

out of those 2 choices my choice would be Tomar ussmileyflag

17. Dissociative

geeze....some people.......

learn a little bit about what your talking about......go buy a vertex dude...NOBODY EVEN USES THE LAWS ANYMORE...those are OLD STOCK....nobody uses them....

that junk is first generation garbage....you don;t even NEED A DRIVER ANYMORE.....IT'S ALL RAN ON JUST A 12V SIGNAL...

don;t listen to me....i don;t know anything........

THE POSTERS QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED CORRECTLY ....arrrg...

18. Dissociative

thanks for the props ultimate......at least somebody has trust for me....LOL

19. Dissociative

threads like this make me think of things like this...
    [​IMG]

20. Dissociative

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KpjTRrDIQ-w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KpjTRrDIQ-w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

use the pause feature..........