1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

led's in factory back up lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by cvwhr, Oct 18, 2011.

1. cvwhr

cvwhr Member

Has anybody tried to replace there factory bulbs with led's and do they work or are they any brighter

2. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

LEDs can be hella bright. The advantage? Brighter and they dont get hot. The dis-advantage? they suck ass at putting out light over distance. ie: LED for blinker - GOOD. LED for headlight - BAD.

Here is some of my LED work. This is a gauge cluster, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. cvwhr

cvwhr Member

Would they work for backup lights. I already have axl. 55 watt set under rear and they do great for right behind truck but can't see corners well. Thanks for info

4. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

I don't think so. They just dont have the power to throw the light out.

5. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

The ones that would work wont fit in the small hole of a reverse light. I am going to be trying to fab something up this weekend, I will let you know how it goes.

And btw, leds do work for distance as long as the have the right optics. But the small reverse light hole in your taillights wont fit them.

6. cvwhr

cvwhr Member

Thanks for the info. I have looked at several diff. types from 24 led to some that work more like a spot all are designed to go in factory light housings and say are plug and play, but don't always believe what I read. Any info and pics would help THANKS

7. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

You can get LED replacement for practically any bulb. When I did my interior LED conversion I got them from HID Guy . NET

You can also try super birght leds from Super Bright

As long as you have the bulb size or number you can get LED replacements.

8. Yamaha0219

Yamaha0219 Junior Member

I replaced my ford taillights with an LED setup from Recon (gorecon.com) and I figured I would buy LED replacement reverse light bulbs. The ones they suggested were unidirectional...all the LEDS face outwards towards the back of the truck...seemed logical at the time. However, after I put them in I realized that they looked good but weren't the proper bulbs for the housing. The housing was set up to reflect the light, so make sure you get a bulb designed to work with the housing. My next set of LEDs will have LEDS placed around the circumference of the bulb so it can utilize the reflector housing, not on a flat plane facing outward.